Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My dwarves are antisocial.  (Read 482 times)

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
My dwarves are antisocial.
« on: August 18, 2011, 09:24:54 pm »

The only ones in my fort that have friends are the remaining five of the starting seven, who are all friends with each other. (When the other two were still alive, they were friends with everyone too.) I now have 83 dwarves, and all the rest of them have are passing acquaintances, many of them. All the rest of them except for one, actually, a dwarven child, whose only friend is, guess what, one of the starting seven. I've had dwarves make friends in the past, so this struck me as kind of odd. The dining room isn't especially large, just 7x13, and I don't really think I've been keeping them busier than I usually do. I guess this is a good thing, but I was kind of hoping for some dwarves to make friends, as this is a community fortress :P

Anybody else get antisocial dwarves? Or am I the lucky one? :P

Oh, and also, it seems that the election for mayor isn't just based on number of friends, as a different dwarf won it. She's an expert conversationalist, so that may have an effect on it. Still no friends though. ;)
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarves are antisocial.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 09:27:31 pm »

It has to do with how long they spend around eachother I believe, I remember not long ago I had a fortress full of legendary conversationalists et cet because I just put 100 dwarves in a 5x5 area for "storage", it was annoying as hell.  So now everyone gets separate rooms or a LARGE idling area.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 10:03:36 pm »

It's a lack of idling time for sure, i've had much larger meeting halls and idling dwarves become friends no problem. For literally decades in my current fort my dwarves barely knew each other because I kept them so busy and I needed to force myself to stop work to get them to pair up.

Not to nitpick but antisocial doesn't mean 'not social', it's a politically correct term for sociopath and general unsympathetic behaviour. It's misused a lot but I guess it's understandable.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 10:09:25 pm »

i have many meeting areas and lots of work to be done, so my dwarves rarely make friends as well.  works pretty good, less chance of a tantrum spiral that way.  just not a whole lot of kids.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time