Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arch Design  (Read 2385 times)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
Arch Design
« on: August 19, 2011, 07:40:09 pm »

I'm currently working on a project which will have arched ceilings and maybe a bridge or two.  What's the best way to design these arches?

The corridors will be no longer than 7 wide, so I was thinking of these designs, based off of a basic pixel circle:
Code: ( 7-wide) [Select]
XXXXXXXXX
XXX   XXX
XX     XX
X       X
X       X

Code: (5-wide) [Select]
XXXXXXX
XX   XX
X     X
X     X

But with the bridge, I'm absolutely lost.  It's going to cover ~40-50 tiles, but I really don't think a circular shape will work there, due to the giant size of a 20z high bridge.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Arch Design
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 09:35:00 pm »

how about an oval?

not sure how to interpret those 1/2 blocks, but this is the best picture i could find. hope it helps!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 09:41:48 pm by andyman564 »
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 11:22:56 pm »

I use this image to plot circles in games like minecraft/DF.  No idea where i got it from or who to credit though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 11:36:03 pm »

I use this image to plot circles in games like minecraft/DF.  No idea where i got it from or who to credit though.

I've seen the very same image bandied about on these very forums, so... maybe you got it from here!

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 11:42:45 pm »

I know I got my copy of that life saving image from these very forums.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 11:43:55 pm »

If you do go for the ovals, then it should be trivial to arrange to use the same paint package and make an oval shape maybe half as high as wide (or take one of the circles, as given, and make any vertical pair with a dot into a single Z).

From the look of andyman's oval, it was done by something very similar to centre-of-brick, without regard of whether the brick is wide or narrow (see how the mid-level extremities are 'rough', although they would be rougher if the long-bricks were included in the outer), so just ignore the brick sizes in that image, treat the wide/narrow/wide sequence in a column as just a plain column of square tiles and you get something like the following:
Code: (Rerepresentation) [Select]
##################################################
###############...................################
###########............................###########
########..................................########
######......................................######
####..........................................####
###............................................###
##..............................................##
?................................................?
#................................................#
Note that it is also slightly asymmetrical in the original, so I suggest you choose one side or the other of the curve (whichever you find nicer) and mirror it.  Also, in the proportional font of this text entry window, the RHS "inner curve" almost lines up vertically with the comparitive size of "#" and "." characters.  Perhaps if you made it line up (then looked at it again in non-proportional font) it would look even better, for an obscure font-size reason that is doubtless purely coincidental to the problem at hand. :)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 11:58:08 pm »