Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No more human caravans? or: the mystery of the invisible traders  (Read 1276 times)

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So one season, the human caravans failed to arrive. I thought that maybe they'd just arrive late or something...but then they've failed to arrive every year since, for several years running. Their diplomat guy still shows up and says I've got a wonderful place carved out for myself, but no caravans.

Stranger still - When I look at my stocks menu, there's a few things like sets of large iron armor and such that are still marked as red, but when I "goto" the item, it takes me to the edge of the map, where there's nothing. I guess that's the last square that the traders were on or something...but this is weird.

I'm just curious if this has happened to others? is this just a problem of me needing to forbid/unforbid/dump something or what? Or do the humans hate me for some reason?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 09:40:44 am by The Dog Delusion »
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No more human caravans? or: the mystery of the invisible traders
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 09:58:40 am »

Stranger still - When I look at my stocks menu, there's a few things like sets of large iron armor and such that are still marked as red, but when I "goto" the item, it takes me to the edge of the map, where there's nothing. I guess that's the last square that the traders were on or something...but this is weird.

Update: I've begun manually dumping the items from my stocks menu...and the dwarves actually run out to the spot on the map and come back with stuff. I'm guessing it's like one square off-map edge or something. Perhaps something happened to one of the pack animals, and the traders have been sore ever since...
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 12:35:43 pm »

bump
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 02:57:11 pm »

Well, I dumped and either melted or atom-smashed a LOT of stuff that was marked as being traders' goods. I'll make another sweep through the stocks menu to make sure I got everything, and then wait until summer to see if they show up, or if they're still pissed about armok-knows-what.

I miss their iron goods :(

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 04:06:47 pm »

Well all traces of the mysterious goods-from-off-the-map has been destroyed or melted down, and even years later, I'm still not getting any human traders. Diplomat, yes. Merchants, no.

I don't know what else to do...Maybe I'll open up runesmith and mess around with the creature files...try to see if we've got some pack animals stuck off-screen or something.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 05:08:21 pm »

Try killing the diplomat next time.  You should get humans showing up again.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 05:23:52 pm »

Try killing the diplomat next time.  You should get humans showing up again.

with extra Iron  8)
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 05:40:43 pm »

You could try to use dfusion to control a dwarf and scout the areas around the fort, see if the traders are stuck, somehow.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 08:50:57 pm »

I've occasionally had a similar bug happen to invaders. They seemed to spawn at the edge of the map incorrectly and remain unseen but glitch the triggering of events like sieges beginning and ending. The only solution I've found is to change the status of glitched units manually with a hacking tool.

This glitch has occurred for me since 40d.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod