Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Spoilers] on Embark  (Read 1139 times)

S!F

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Spoilers] on Embark
« on: August 28, 2011, 12:42:37 pm »

...My dwarves embarked right on the edge of some open space over Hell. Literally overlooking it. They could take a piss on the very center of the earth if they wanted to.

Is this supposed to happen? Everything I've found on the wiki indicates that I have to dig TO Hell, or a demon fortress, or an eerie glowing pit and receive a warning message or two along the way. I just embarked to what I thought was a pretty standard site (some soil, flux, lots of trees/vegetation, low elevation, bordered by a stream, not too savage...hey, I'm an unadventurous newbie still trying to learn) and the game crashed. I loaded up the embark autosave, took a peek down the ominous amount of open space over half of my 3x3 map, and saw demon after demon after demon all chillin' down below the lava lakes.

I have a few small questions.

What exactly IS this place? I'm assuming a demonic fortress? There's an eerie glowing pit at the bottom of the map, a metric ton of demons (9 Zombie Platypus People, 10 Purple Taupe Devils, 26 Yellow Grossular Devils, 5 Pig Demons, 17 Flare Wraiths, 17 Steam Monsters, 26 Rain Brutes, and 31 Theropod Monsters), slade everything, some stairs, and some walls higher up. There is no adamantine that I can see...but there's also no adamantine weapon that the wiki indicates is in a demonic fortress. (EDIT: I wasn't looking in the right place. There is indeed an adamantine long sword. Demonic fortress it is!)

Is this at all common? The empty space all the way down to the bottom of the map and demons present from embark, I mean.

...Does anyone want this save? Or pictures? I sure as hell can't do anything with this map. I'm not skilled enough to defend myself against demons and the game still crashes every time I try to unpause it. I figured I wouldn't include pictures unless asked just in case this is a normal, boring occurrence that you hardcore people yawn over.

EDIT:
Pics or it didn't happen How about a whole map archive complete with POIs?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 05:42:42 pm by S!F »

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Spoilers] on Embark
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 01:00:07 pm »

Don't worry, it's a bug =)

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 01:31:30 pm »

Yeah, sometimes world generation bugs out like that...there are many other ways it can happen, like mixing up caverns and the sky, or mixing up the center of the earth and the surface, My advice is to just gen a new world, and try again.
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

S!F

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 01:41:18 pm »

I thought it might be a bug, thanks for the confirmation. The first thing I thought when I saw the rectangle of open space with bodies of water and lava floating over more open space was, "this looks a lot like a Minecraft chunk error."

I at least wanted to be able to unpause long enough to watch the 100+ demons obliterate my embark party though. Oh well, back to boring worlds and embarks.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 02:04:31 pm »

Looks like its time up your embark points, embark with steel clad dwarves, and have a shit-ton of war dogs.

Stuff is about to get clownic.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 02:14:31 pm »

It is a bug. Sometimes, the Semi-Molten Rock won't generate, and so everything just colapses onto hell, leaving hell exposed to the surface world.
It'd actually be pretty fun, if the fortress didn't die the FPS death immediately.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

S!F

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 05:50:09 pm »

Added a link to the map archive to my original post.

What's the best way to upload my save? Will the world gen paramenters always produce this glitched version? If I upload the actual save even though I've modified the raws a bit (mostly taking out aquifers), will that affect people too badly? Should I upload the embark as it is or abandon the fortress and upload the world for it to be reclaimed? (The open pit extends past the embark site if someone wanted to play on an adjacent site.)

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 06:42:05 pm »

Yeah, even with the exact same worldgen parameters, seed, and raws, this won't repeat. It's basically a localized memory hiccup during worldgen. And it can be quite interesting when it happens.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 06:28:20 am »

In Dwarf Fortress, Hell digs (too deep high) up to the dwarfs.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.