Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: empty throne room issue  (Read 501 times)

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
empty throne room issue
« on: November 01, 2006, 08:30:00 pm »

This is not exactly a bug, more of what I assume is an unintended consequence of a combination of events.

I discovered there was a rash of unhappy dwarves who had discovered a mysterious lack of available tables.

At first, I thought recent migrations had increased the number of required tables, so I just finished filling my dining hall to the maximum possible extent.

This had no effect on the problem. What I discovered, instead, was that dwarves were having their lunch in rooms I had set aside for future nobles.

Unfortunately, they were doing so in rooms without tables, and were instead contenting themselves to sit in chairs for their meals.

As a temporary fix for anyone noticing this, I just recommend putting tables in throne rooms that you haven't assigned yet.

Shingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: empty throne room issue
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 08:46:00 pm »

I'm not entirely sure if this would work, however I've recently wondered if perhaps forbidding access to the rooms you've prepared for the nobles would prevent the dwarves from using them, and thus get rid of any unhappy thoughts associated with lack of chairs/tables, or more-so if it's something that all dwarves can instinctively "Sense," in the same fashion that dwarves immediately realize that their masterpieces have been destroyed.

[ November 01, 2006: Message edited by: Shingo ]

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 09:38:00 pm »

Unfortunately no, this was the first thing I tried, before building the tables.

It only results in miles and miles of red text about not being able to access the room.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 02:54:00 am »

is that locking up before or after they started heading to the room? i mean dwarves are rather fixated on certain things... chopping 1 tree and 1 tree only until it's chopped, etc

Telok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 05:54:00 am »

Here's a fix that works.

Don't make it a room untill you need it for a noble.

I never even realized this could be a problem before I saw it on the boards. I just dig out the room, detail, furnish, door, and let it sit "undeclared". Nobody ever uses it. When a noble comes along that needs an office or a dining room you can designate it and assign it all at once. No problems.

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 02:13:00 pm »

That hasn't worked for me.  I furnish my future nobles' quarters but don't make them rooms until the nobles arrive, to prevent some greedy dwarf from claiming the noble bedrooms and then getting all huffy when he gets booted out.

The only thing that has worked for me is to either leave the chairs out of the office until the noble actually arrives, or to put in both a table and a chair.  Tables are cheap, and it kind of makes sense if you think of the office table as a desk.  The poor bookkeeper and tax collector shouldn't have to work out sums with their ledgers propped in their laps, give 'em a desk to do the paperwork.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 10:45:00 pm »

Yeah, once I handle that message spam this should be easier to deal with.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Telok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 07:08:00 am »

Wierd, because I've never seen that problem and I definately have single chairs in my fort.

Although I've started putting two chairs in offices. I did that when I noticed the trade guy meeting with some humans. They got the chair and he sat on the floor. So I use two chairs.

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 12:15:00 pm »

Telok,

It depends where your single chairs are relative to your dining hall.

If your dining hall is in the upper left portion of the fort (or upper left relative to the noble quarters in question) you won't ever have this problem.