Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Small gems and profession bugs  (Read 755 times)

oksir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Small gems and profession bugs
« on: November 01, 2006, 04:04:00 pm »

1. When cutting a rough gem, twice now I've gotten trade goods instead of a cut gem. So instead of a cut turqoise I ended up with a turqoise idol, ring, etc.

2. Peasants don't always change to a real profession, even though they have enough skills for it. I think they change professions only if they perform a job in another field than the one they're skilled in. Here's a shot of my peasant that has exclusively been cutting trees for a long time:

He should have become a carpenter, but he's still a peasant.

Shingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Small gems and profession bugs
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 04:27:00 pm »

If memory serves, there are certain jobs that won't give peasants a profession. i.e. The cutting of a tree, does not a carpenter make.

I'd guess that perhaps you'd have to get him skilled in say... carpentry/bowyering/siege engineering, or something else, in order to turn him into a carpenter.

Oh, and getting things other than regular cut-gems isn't a bug. It's just that it's random, as opposed to more controlled, such as the jobs available in the craftdwarfe's shop (i.e. you can select whether to make mugs, intruments, etc.). It's the only way to obtain "Large Gems" which can supposedly be used as trap bait, although I've never managed to procure a large gem... (probably because I leave most gems un-cut in the off-chance a fey mood dwarf might demand that gem-type).

[ November 01, 2006: Message edited by: Shingo ]

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 04:33:00 pm »

quote:
1. When cutting a rough gem, twice now I've gotten trade goods instead of a cut gem. So instead of a cut turqoise I ended up with a turqoise idol, ring, etc.  

That's a feature - if your dwarf happens to feel especially creative, he'll make a craft instead of just a cut gem. This can be good or bad - good, in that the craft is probably worth a fair bit, bad if you wanted to use that gem to decorate something else or needed it for a fey mood.

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 05:25:00 pm »

Seige operating is another skill which will not grant a profession name.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 05:42:00 pm »

That makes sense, but wood cutting ought to fall under the umbrella of carpentry -- carpenters come with their own axes and wood cutting enabled.

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 05:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Maximus:
<STRONG>That makes sense, but wood cutting ought to fall under the umbrella of carpentry -- carpenters come with their own axes and wood cutting enabled.</STRONG>

I believe that some carpenters also come with seige operating, and seige engineering too...

Either way, all skills should assign a profession... of some sort.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 06:37:00 pm »

It should also be noted that these gemstone-crafted items are incredably valuable, many times more so then the inital or even cut version of the gem. If one turns out to become a masterpeice...  :eek:

[ November 01, 2006: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 02:57:00 am »

carp immigrants by default have x-bow making, carpentry, siege engineering (not operating) and wood chopping on...

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 03:53:00 am »

Rough gems have 0 value.  Large gems/gem crafts have a value of 10*(gem type modifier)*quality -- so 4800 for a masterpiece diamond craft, vs 200 for a mere "cut" diamond (5*gem type modifier; no quality modifier).

Gem encrusting produces the same value as gem crafts, though: 10*(gem type modifier)*quality, which is added to the price of whatever object gets encrusted.

oksir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 02:38:00 pm »

Some more small bugs (At least I hope they're really bugs this time):

1. I had a horse with a gouged out mouth in this version, 0.22.110.22e. It might be fixed already because of what's on the Recent Developments page.

2. A fey mood gave me a 'a___crown' (spaces instead of underscores) artifact, made out of no specific material. It has decorations in all sorts of materials. The dwarf that made it became a legendary bone carver.

3. Dwarves having a yellow upper body wound do not get rescued and dragged to a bed, while they are to badly hurt to walk themselves. So they just lie on the ground until they die. They also have no flickering yellow/red cross.

4. Another health care thing: Dwarves that are resting with wounds do get tired, and eventually go insane because of tiredness. The wounds prevent them from sleeping, even though they're lying in a bed.

5. One of my highly skilled woodcutting dwarves would sometimes spend several minutes to cut down a single tree, which normally takes only a couple of seconds. He was armed with an axe and had hunting enabled, that might have something to do with it.

[ November 03, 2006: Message edited by: oksir ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 02:50:00 pm »

Yeah, 1 is fixed.  2 is known.  3 -- were there other wounds if you scroll down?  One break shouldn't prevent them from making it.  4 is known.  5...  I have no idea.  Any other observations on this?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

oksir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 05:46:00 pm »

3. No, I'm 100% sure it was his only wound, no organ damage. He did sometimes move a single square, but only like one square per 10 minutes, and not towards any bed. I'm not sure if he moved on his own power or a dwarf dragged him for one square and then dropped him for some reason.

5. No, sadly that dwarf died while hunting pretty much immediately after my previous post, so I couldn't do any more tests.

And a new bug:
The entire dwarven caravan never left. The message that they would leave was generated, but they didn't. They all hang around at the entrance to my fortress, loaded with the stuff I traded them. When they arrived one of the caravan guards was killed by an ogre and immediately buried by my dwarves in one of my coffins. Maybe they're waiting for him?
Here is the save if you want to have a look at it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 03:44:00 pm »

The merchant bug is fairly common, and the cause is unknown.  I'd need a save before it happens to learn anything new about it, but that'll be hard to come by.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 09:13:00 am »

Might it work to set up a ballista a kill one of them that way, or would that be considered a hostile act?