Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Community Text Adventure  (Read 780 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Community Text Adventure
« on: October 21, 2011, 04:42:36 pm »

A person wakes up on an island filled with memories. Only s/he knows why s/he came here.

At this current time, this text adventure is pretty boring. There is only one ending, one object and one room. There is pretty much nothing going on. Here is the fun bit. Via PM, you suggest locations for the island and objects to use, under one condition: the object, when picked up or used, causes the game to end. This endings can range from happy, sad, creepy or just plain bizarre. These endings should explain why the person is here. If this becomes popular, we could end up with a game filled with endings. I am sort of on the fence about adding objects that do not do anything but add atmosphere and occasionally do random stuff.

Now please, start PMing and I can work on this project.

Also, tell me if there is anything wrong. This is the second interactive fiction I have done, apart from one I did for my brother's birthday.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:30:39 pm by Fniff »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Community Text Adventure
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 12:51:31 pm »

You shuld just have this on http://www.epicsplosion.com/epicsploitation/adventures instead.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 12:56:51 pm »

Hm, I was just thinking it might be nice to do it on here for fun, I guess. Plus, it isn't very active. Granted, this particular thread isn't either.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 03:46:42 pm »

It has bursts of activity. There's little right now because everyone's waiting for the software to be upgraded.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 04:54:04 pm »

Are you planning on writing the whole thing yourself? If not, I can think of a much more interesting way to do this.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 04:56:01 pm »

Sure, you can help. I'm kind of new to Inform 7, so I'm just doing this in a simple enough way. It may not be very interesting if I did it all by myself.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 05:18:46 pm »

First off, I love the concept of the IF itself, especially in the context of a community project like this. But the plan that I was thinking of won't work now that I've noticed that you're using an IF engine to make it.

My idea was this: make your own IF engine, that extracts all data (rooms, objects, etc.) from text files. Then, link to a dropbox folder in this thread, where anyone can write their own object/ending pair in a .txt like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and then drop it into the dropbox folder.

Buuuuut, like I said, that wouldn't really work now. Besides, it would take more coding than writing.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 05:21:17 pm »

Good idea, but you gotta remember. I'm a dabbler in this.