Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unusual Embarks  (Read 807 times)

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unusual Embarks
« on: August 15, 2011, 11:55:10 am »

Besides the Infamous spire maps, Has anyone found other types of unusual embarks?

My current map, a 4x4 embark, has 2 magma pipes!

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual Embarks
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 01:14:39 pm »

Sounds like that site is.........Smokin'

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHH! 8)
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 02:29:44 pm »

I have one with a volcano in a lake. Cue a few minutes of massive lag and "cavern collapse" spam as water rushes in and forms an obsidian cap. Haven't used that embark yet, but it's in the "for future use" file ... if the next version doesn't come out before I'm done with my current fort.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 07:22:16 pm »

I had an embark where I spawned on a narrow ledge overlooking a steep drop 40Zs into an evil lake.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Wurgel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 09:06:24 pm »

Embark with a volcano. at least i thought its "1" volcano. Infact, its a 140 lvl deep hole in the mountain, down to the 3rd cavern, where the maga is on the same lvl as the cavernground. around it are 4! more "volcanos" with the same high then the one with the hole.
First thought: so far to my easy magma access.
"nd thought: WTF! the hole breached cavern lvl 1 and 2 without sealing them (same with lvl 3). On top of that, lvl 2 is an underwatercavern, that starts flooding lvl 3 (after finally capping the volcano). So lvl 2 is depletet to 1 z-level of Water, getting refilled by the mapedges, while lvl 3 gets flooded, while the water leaves the map at the mapedge, giving me a permanent 43 z-level waterfall around a ~20x20 hole. My FPS doesnt like it, so right now im trying to seal off the waterfall with pure manson-power and cave-ins while loosing 1 dorf each cave in.... because they cant follow orders   >:(

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 11:10:25 pm »

Embark with a volcano. at least i thought its "1" volcano. Infact, its a 140 lvl deep hole in the mountain, down to the 3rd cavern, where the maga is on the same lvl as the cavernground. around it are 4! more "volcanos" with the same high then the one with the hole.
First thought: so far to my easy magma access.
"nd thought: WTF! the hole breached cavern lvl 1 and 2 without sealing them (same with lvl 3). On top of that, lvl 2 is an underwatercavern, that starts flooding lvl 3 (after finally capping the volcano). So lvl 2 is depletet to 1 z-level of Water, getting refilled by the mapedges, while lvl 3 gets flooded, while the water leaves the map at the mapedge, giving me a permanent 43 z-level waterfall around a ~20x20 hole. My FPS doesnt like it, so right now im trying to seal off the waterfall with pure manson-power and cave-ins while loosing 1 dorf each cave in.... because they cant follow orders   >:(

Manson-power?! Well, I suppose I'd expect the Dwarves to block a waterfall with a wall of horrifically brutalized corpses.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 11:57:20 pm »

Most interesting thing I've had at embark was in Genesis mod.  My civ got lucky and I could bring along Dragon Raptors.  From what I gather from the descriptions, they are feathered T-Rexes.  And they can be trained for war  :o
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 12:11:29 am »

i remember embarking on an almost completely square caldera once, was like 20 something z's high as i recall.
Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."