Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is it me...or are Scimitars overpowered?  (Read 5095 times)

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
Re: Is it me...or are Scimitars overpowered?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 08:11:47 am »

Scimitars are completely identical to short swords in every respect.

I was gonna say they weren't, but it seems they were changed.

They used to have a higher slashing damage, as they have a bigger blade which made them my preferred weapon to use in Adventure mode as slashing attacks seem to have a greater chance of cutting of limbs (which makes sense).

"Damage" hasn't been around since 40d >_>

I mean the velocity or whatever it's called now. In DF2010, Scimitars had 30000 or 40000 Slash. Now in 2012, they are exactly the same as Short Swords (20000).

That's contact area, and lower numbers appear to be better in most cases.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 06:17:34 pm »

When it comes to contact area, lower numbers are better in blunt cases. With edged weapons, higher numbers mean more limb-chopping.
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 06:23:31 pm »

When it comes to contact area, lower numbers are better in blunt cases. With edged weapons, higher numbers mean more limb-chopping.

Exactly.

You want a bigger contact area with edged weapons because it means it can cut larger things. A big enough contact area, and you can Slash Lower Body (or Trunk) and chop (some) things in half; mostly Night Creatures as they tend to be extremely skinny in most cases.

You want a smaller contact area with blunted weapons because you're trying to smash bones; concentrating the contact area to a smaller zone means you're more likely to shatter the bone.

However, I have yet to see any reason to even worry about contact area on PIERCING weapons. A smaller contact area would make sense, since you're poking your target, but piercing weapons are also sharp and typically edged, so having a bigger contact area means you're going to cut more... Imagine a spear. Now imagine a spear with a tip the size of a dog's head. Now imagine piercing someone's chest with that dog-headed spear.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 06:31:06 pm »

There are no such thing as piercing weapons. Only edge and blunt. Spears use edge attacks with small contact areas.
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 09:41:49 pm »

There are no such thing as piercing weapons. Only edge and blunt. Spears use edge attacks with small contact areas.

There is no such thing as a piercing attack, yes. The weapons themselves, however, are still considered piercing weapons. Those that have a low contact area, but high penetration. Only a few of them can "slash." Their primary mode of attack is "stab." Because that is what the action of piercing someone would be; stabbing. ;)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 02:28:31 pm »

Then shortswords are slash and stab weapons.

/

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 08:30:13 pm »

I mean the velocity or whatever it's called now. In DF2010, Scimitars had 30000 or 40000 Slash. Now in 2012, they are exactly the same as Short Swords (20000).

Incorrect, I checked and they've been the same (except for the name) since 31.01, which was the first "DF2010" version.

I bet if I changed the name to "Katana", it would do even more damage.  :P

CarpeDiem

• Bay Watcher
  • I just love Dwarves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 09:40:45 pm »

This is kind of irrelevant but is halberd a good weapon to use because you can choose to slash limbs off or stab through armor?

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 09:53:37 am »

This is kind of irrelevant but is halberd a good weapon to use because you can choose to slash limbs off or stab through armor?

Halberd is fine for adventurer mode. In fortress mode you will never get halberds with good enough quality modifiers or material.
Pages: 1 [2]