Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water Source (cavern)  (Read 700 times)

OMGTANGERINES

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water Source (cavern)
« on: August 15, 2011, 03:40:04 pm »

I'm on a volcano embark without a river, and the only water source are pools in the caverns. I dug/designated a pond in the hospital, intending to fill it by bucket carrying, and made a 5x5x1 room in the caverns which I filled with water, and dug ramps down into the pool, and designated it as a water source. But, my dwarves refuse to fill the pond, saying there is no water source. How exactly can I transfer water to the well (small well, 3x2x2) without using pump stacks?
We were hoping for a constant fort at some point, having players in different time zones so that the fort never actually stopped running.  Come back overnight and find a giant penis has been constructed.  Glory to the penis gods.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water Source (cavern)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 04:49:18 pm »

Somehow, they don't have access to the water. Make sure there's an open path and flat ground around the top of the pond.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 05:30:46 pm »

Sounds like a problem with ramps.

Code: [Select]
____
####\_____

They always need an adjacent wall like the one above. Not like the one below.
Code: [Select]
  _____
\_____

Just build stairs. It's a lot easier and less time consuming.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 05:32:52 pm »

Pools in the cavern? Not some sort of underground sea by any chance? That'd be easy.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

OMGTANGERINES

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 06:59:59 pm »

Somehow, they don't have access to the water. Make sure there's an open path and flat ground around the top of the pond.
That did the trick, thank you. Now I'm getting spammed with "cancels store item in bin/barrel/bag/stockpile: item inaccessible" spam, though.
We were hoping for a constant fort at some point, having players in different time zones so that the fort never actually stopped running.  Come back overnight and find a giant penis has been constructed.  Glory to the penis gods.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 07:20:35 pm »

Probably because someone took a bucket when someone else wanted to put it away.

Tip: Designate multiple pond fill sites over the destination zone (hospital pond). Each zone can only generate one job; more zones = more jobs = quicker fill.