Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems with trading  (Read 1612 times)

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problems with trading
« on: August 16, 2011, 11:36:39 am »

Hey there, been trying adventure mode this whole day and right now I try to get a clue how trading works. So I traded all my butchered stuff for like 232 coins of my home civilization but when I now try to buy some armor he keeps saying I should give him some more valuable stuff for it ... hell I want to buy something with a value of 9 coins so why does he demand more coins? Completely new to adventure mode :(

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with trading
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 11:53:26 am »

Make sure to grab your coins after you sell stuff, they spawn on the table in the middle of the store.

Also when he asks for more valuable stuff it means you don't have enough money to cover the price of what you're trying to get, because if you had the shopkeeper would suggest a price for you, so you have to mark more of your things for trade.

and when you buy something it doesn't automatically gets added to your inventory, you have to grab it from somewhere in the shop, what you bough won't have the coin icons in the name of the item.

Check the wiki, it explains quite well how to trade

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 11:57:49 am »

Thanks. Yeah found out about that grabbing the stuff yourself the hard way as in being followed by the whole town and stabbed to death on another hero. Though I guess I misinterpreted the number behind items as their value instead of their weight. Though my hero just died due to a kick from a two-humped camel. Any general tips for a new adventurer? I'm pretty "good" for a newbie though I always end up dead because of some crazy elephant who just doesn't want to die or anything like that :P

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 12:11:17 pm »

Well, I always train my adventurers before going out and about, there are things you can train very easily, like ambusher for example, it goes up by just walking back and forth while sneaking, and also it is very useful, you can kill entire bandit gangs without being detected even once, I also like to train knapping, not because knapping itself but because it makes your spatial, kinestetic, agility and something else go up considerably, also throwing is another thing easy to train and crazy effective, even small rocks when thrown by a legendary thrower can cause severe damage,  wrestling that you can train by simply grabbing and releasing a harmless small animal, like a turkey.

I have a autohotkey script that automatizes much of this, I can post it here if you want, most people would consider this as cheesing, but I see it just as training, I mean would you go adventuring in a dwarf fortress like world without preparing yourself first? :p

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 12:22:08 pm »

I'm already doing stuff like that improving throwing etc. I often find abandoned fortresses where a lot of animals roam and just hunt some of them though I stay clear of giraffes ... they are totally badass. What about fame? I just wiped out the bandit camp of my first quest and I always read about fame but where do you see how famous you are? And what about those long middle names I always get after some quests. I guess it is some kind of nickname but where can I see some translation?

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 12:29:16 pm »

I'm already doing stuff like that improving throwing etc. I often find abandoned fortresses where a lot of animals roam and just hunt some of them though I stay clear of giraffes ... they are totally badass. What about fame? I just wiped out the bandit camp of my first quest and I always read about fame but where do you see how famous you are? And what about those long middle names I always get after some quests. I guess it is some kind of nickname but where can I see some translation?

I don't know about the fame thing, I don't think there's anywhere you can actually see a number representing your fame status, I think it only changes the reaction people have when talking to you depending of your standing with that civilization, like if you have legendary hero status they will go "holy shit, a legend? here? I can't believe it" or something along those lines :)

About the nickname translation thing, one way you can see the translated name is to go to inventory, check your weapon and then it's description, it will list all the kills attributed to it and at the bottom there's the slayer (which should be you) and the name there is translated.

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 03:22:14 am »

I have a autohotkey script that automatizes much of this, I can post it here if you want.

I've been looking for my lost Autohotkey scripts for my adventurer training, if you don't mind posting yours that'd be great.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.
- The Invisible Man in the Sky

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 11:58:55 am »

I have a autohotkey script that automatizes much of this, I can post it here if you want.

I've been looking for my lost Autohotkey scripts for my adventurer training, if you don't mind posting yours that'd be great.

sure, it's shoddily made though.

they all use ctrl+alt+key as hotkey, so for example the first one which says ^!a you launch by pressing ctrl+alt+a.

The knapping/throwing one will need some changes for each adventurer though, as the positions of the items in your inventory will change, I put comments on the values that may need editing, you can also change the direction to throw, also make sure you already have the hammer small stone equipped before starting it.

they are all loops that you can brake by pressing F1, it will only break out when the loops complete so keep F1 pressed until it does.

also the ones that involve attacking have a !y commented out, that's the alt+y button press you gotta do in order to attack friendly creatures

Oh and you gotta have the DF window active for it to work, I tried using the autohotkey command that sends key presses to a particular window, but for some reason it doesn't work very well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:06:46 pm by onarum »