Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave and above ground differences for crops seasonality  (Read 575 times)

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave and above ground differences for crops seasonality
« on: August 16, 2011, 05:56:47 pm »

Why are above-ground crops growable all year round, while cave crops are seasonal (some of them at least) ?

In my understanding, seasons should affect the above-ground life conditions much more than the cave life conditions.

It would be more realistic to have above-ground crops depending on the season and climate.
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave and above ground differences for crops seasonality
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 06:06:11 pm »

My understanding is that its just a leftover from some older versions, that hasn't been important enough to officially fix.  Also, it can easily be changed with some modding if you want. just add all the season tags to the underground plants and remove some from the above ground plants.

i874236951

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 06:07:09 pm »

It's a product of the expansion of the Dwarf Fortress universe after the Big Smush, which was a time when all creatures were laying down in the same tile, and Armok was the only being standing.  As Armok flew into the air and disappeared, all the creatures began moving in different directions, occupying any tile in which they could stand.  They say that the Dwarf Fortress environment was created by the outward movement of these creatures, rather than through natural, regularly-occurring physical reactions.  As such, some features of the universe that dwarves inhabit are inexplicably "off" when compared to the universe where you and I browse the forums.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 07:34:53 pm »

Back in the old 2D versions, the 6 subterranean plants were the only ones you could farm (no outdoor farm plots allowed), and those plants had special season restrictions and growing times; outdoor plants all used the defaults because there was no point in assigning them anything special. When the game went 3D and it became possible to plant stuff outdoors, Toady never bothered to update the outdoor plants, so they could all be farmed year-round with the default grow time of 25 days.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 08:38:54 pm »

I keep getting told my my fortresses that it can't grow any of the above ground plants that I have been able to gather seeds from ...

I think the fact you can grow them year round is only part of the above-ground plant-farming problem as of the current version.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"