Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!SCIENCE!!  (Read 1844 times)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
!!SCIENCE!!
« on: August 13, 2011, 02:20:26 pm »

I was wondering do engravings cause lag?
I'm asking this because they add alot of information to the map and during one of my mass engraving sessions i've notice lag.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 02:23:50 pm »

As far as I'm aware, they don't add significantly to lag...could be wrong, though.

I'm guessing that you might be noticing lag because the dwarves have to path to everything they're going to engrave.  Pathing is known to cause a good deal of lag and if your fortress is complex enough, that could be a problem...  Once again, that's an educated random stab in the dark.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 04:58:55 pm »

I suppose it is possible, but I'm more inclined to believe other forces are at work, ex clothes, flowing water, lots of dwarves, sieges etc

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 07:17:20 pm »

I'm asking this because they add alot of information to the map and during one of my mass engraving sessions i've notice lag.

It's likely because of the mass designation. That can cause lag as the dwarves have to decide on one out of a ton of available 'smooth stone' jobs, and gets worse the more dwarves have the stone detailing job enabled.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 11:16:53 pm »

All I believe it should have an effect on would be the size of the save file and/or time it takes to save/load.

Then again, I have very little knowledge in IT. Just based on, you know, common sense?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 01:59:43 am »

The information in engravings probably isn't accessed unless the engraving is being viewed by the player or a room value is calculated. Engravings currently don't trigger thoughts in dwarves, whereas buildings like statues DO.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 03:14:36 am »

It's likely because of the mass designation. That can cause lag as the dwarves have to decide on one out of a ton of available 'smooth stone' jobs, and gets worse the more dwarves have the stone detailing job enabled.

I can confirm it is likely because of big designation area. I have experienced massive drops in FPS after I desiqnated large part of the map for tree cutting.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 06:58:20 am »

just one note,i had on my fort when i mass designate smoothing and engraving about 150 dwarfs,no temperature,child cap at 10:100,5 or 6 dwarfs with the engraving labor,no runing water,no sieges,and only the clothes that my dwarfs bring with them plus the military clothes and finally my FPS is at 99-100 sometimes for unknow reasons it drops to 60-80 and then gets back.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.