Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who'da thunk  (Read 1589 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Who'da thunk
« on: August 14, 2011, 02:12:04 pm »

I have a plethora of War Naked Mole Dogs and War Rhesus Macaques thanks to some cage traps and liberal re-tagging of raws.  They breed like crazy, so I have way more than I can ever assign, so they wander the fortress.  Mainly they stay in the meeting area with the rest of the dwarves, by the well.  (This is all important exposition, got it?)

I just got a forgotten beast show up.  Litheme!  An enormous three-eyed bee. It has a curling trunk and it belches and croaks. It's purple & taupe exoskeleton is wrinkled.  Beware its poisonous sting!

A giant, purple and taupe, belching, croaking, wrinkly bee.  That's just ... gross.

So I recall my citizens to the "Inside" burrow, send my military to the panic zone in the tunnel leading up from the caverns.  I have a wooden door standing by as bait for any building destroyers who come up from the caverns and the panic zone is just past the ... uh ... where is the door.  Oh crap.  Did I forget to rebuild it after the last building destroyer showed up?

Where the hell did Litheme just go.

Up the well.  Woops.

So now I'm imagining my 12-year old fort, with its elite military and only a handful of deaths over its lifetime, succumbing to a stupid bee that decided to fly up the well into the midst of the majority of my citizens, with my military too far away to make much of a difference.  I figure I'm in for either annihilation by bee or tantrum spiral once it kills enough dwarfs.

Only that is the same room where a dozen War Naked Mole Dogs, a War Buzzard and a couple of War Rhesus Macaques also happened to be hanging around.  I was stunned to see that they eliminated the FB before my military had a chance to even get halfway there, without a single death and the only injury being the War Buzzard getting its left knee broken.  (Buzzards have knees?)

When going back over the combat reports, the mole dogs mainly bit at its legs and thorax, tearing chunks out and opening up arteries and tearing tendons.  Meanwhile one of the macaques had jumped on the beast's head and was busy tearing its eyes out and biting it in the head.  (Mmm, tastes like filth.)  Pretty quickly, the FB succumbed to something (the reports didn't show any specific death blow, so I guess it was blood loss/failed saving throw?) and keeled over dead.

I have about fifty naked mole puppies in a cage, waiting for them to mature.  Sadly they only live about four years.  Happily, they are constantly shooting out litters of 2-3 pups at a time.  I'm setting "Train War Animal" on repeat and making an army of these little buggers.  I can't help but think about Molenarok from Syrupleaf.  Only this time ... IT WILL WORK!

NAKED Molenarok!

Ew.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Silly Theory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Who'da thunk
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 02:54:19 pm »

Watch out for the disease they spread.

BTW, you can train those animals normally? Or is that a mod/you edited?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 03:01:44 pm »

thanks to some cage traps and liberal re-tagging of raws.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 03:05:32 pm »

Naked Mole Dogs are great in a fight. Better than Dogs. And, plus, if you get too many just put the puppiesi n a cage and wait a year or two and your population will be normal again.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 03:31:52 pm »

you're lucky,waaaaaaaaaaaay to lucky,on my current fort i have about 40 giant tame badgers and 30 foxes so i'm suffering from a giant badger explosion,before those pests arrived i had 50 gooses.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 06:00:50 pm »

you're lucky,waaaaaaaaaaaay to lucky,on my current fort i have about 40 giant tame badgers and 30 foxes so i'm suffering from a giant badger explosion,before those pests arrived i had 50 gooses.
I once had a bearsplosion. Black Bears AND Grizzly Bears. I just chained them all up in the enterance of my fort. As soon as a goblin showed up, it got about five more seconds to experience the joy of having limbs.
Naked Mole Dogs are the best because they breed quickly, die quickly, are tough in a fight (it's the incisors that do it, I'd imagine), and they're big enough to make them a viable food source.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 06:02:04 pm »

I once had a bearsplosion. Black Bears AND Grizzly Bears. I just chained them all up in the enterance of my fort. As soon as a goblin showed up, it got about five more seconds to experience the joy of having limbs.
Naked Mole Dogs are the best because they breed quickly, die quickly, are tough in a fight (it's the incisors that do it, I'd imagine), and they're big enough to make them a viable food source.

Can you slaughter animals whom die of old age?
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 06:06:01 pm »

Not certain. I think any animal can be slaughtered, as long as it isn't a pet.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 06:19:24 pm »

i have the limit of dogs, cats, alpaca, and now black bears are exploding.  i get 12 fps =D

cats kill vermin.   war dogs slow enemies, spot ambushers and thieves, and prevent enemy dodge for my melee troops.  alpacas give me meat, bones, hides, wool, and milk.  black bears......  guess they're gonna be for butchering.

and buzzards have knees. 
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 06:20:01 pm »

Tame animals which die from any cause other than being deliberately slaughtered by a dwarf at a butcher's shop cannot be butchered.  So the corpses of tame animals which died of old age cannot be butchered.  Wild animals which die of old age can have their corpses butchered.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Astronomygoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 10:41:23 pm »

War Rhesus Macaques

Next you'll want to build an obelisk.