Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 33c - Ocean Waves are fresh water  (Read 417 times)

Stof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
33c - Ocean Waves are fresh water
« on: November 25, 2007, 06:36:00 pm »

I was going for a "hermit" kind of fortress for a change, and I found a perfect little island for that. It had rock, a biome without an aquifier and trees and all. So, after arrival, my skilled little hermit decided it was time to get rid of the 6 leeches that came with her and settled for the good old locked room that fills with water.

A perfect place for that was to dig down one level and dig there in the direction of the beach, build a room there, close it with a door, station all the remaining dwarves there, close the door and open a channel above. Death would have probably been painful and slow because the ocean waves couldn't fill the room very fast (for those that want to get rid of some annoying noble, think about that one, it would sure feel satisfiying  :)

Later, to counter the constantly bothering migrants that where eatin through her meager food supplies, my hermit decided to prepare a more complex welcome room with floodgates to fill the room and empty it (directly to a conveniently placed aquifier). This time the water was taken directly from the ocean itself through an underground channel. Now, the dwarves wouldn't drink that water at all as expected.

So, with that small bug, Ocean maps are now slightly easier to play.