Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2 suggestions  (Read 1294 times)

Cthulhu Inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
2 suggestions
« on: August 17, 2011, 05:33:43 pm »

1.) We should be able to choose what to decorate, similar to what to cook and brew, and economic stone. For example, I may want to have tables, chairs, and beds decorated, but not mechanisms or doors, because usually dwarves won't admire them. Forbidding and unforbidding takes a reaaaaally long time, not to mention it'll probably screw with other tasks.

2.) Constructed walls should behave just like natural walls--holding their shape in a cave in, being able to be smoothed and engraved, etc.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: 2 suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 06:02:21 pm »

Even just moving mechanisms into their own seperate category of things that can be decorated would probably help.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 06:10:04 pm »

1.) We should be able to choose what to decorate, similar to what to cook and brew, and economic stone. For example, I may want to have tables, chairs, and beds decorated, but not mechanisms or doors, because usually dwarves won't admire them. Forbidding and unforbidding takes a reaaaaally long time, not to mention it'll probably screw with other tasks.

2.) Constructed walls should behave just like natural walls--holding their shape in a cave in, being able to be smoothed and engraved, etc.

1) I Agree with this five-thousand percent.

2) Hmmm, not so sure about this one.  At the very least, a constructed wall should have less structural integrity than a natural mountain side.  As for smoothing--aren't constructed walls already smooth?  I'll have to double check. 

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 06:23:35 pm »

I support the first idea!
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 10:36:36 pm »

2) Hmmm, not so sure about this one.  At the very least, a constructed wall should have less structural integrity than a natural mountain side.  As for smoothing--aren't constructed walls already smooth?  I'll have to double check.

Constructed walls can't currently be engraved for some reason. Ideally the game would be changed so that they could (quite frankly, I feel that it would be more realistic for an artificial wall to be decorated than a smoothed but natural one).
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 11:11:30 pm »

Don't insult architecture or the great people who we remember.

http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Arts/Parthenon/Parthenon1.jpg

Oh, peskyninja. Great disguise there LAWL. :P

TantrumTime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 11:19:22 pm »

1.) We should be able to choose what to decorate, similar to what to cook and brew, and economic stone.

Why limit it to types? Designating things to be decorated should work the same way as designating things to be melted. I agree with 2, but only for block walls.
Somewhere along the way this innocent thread about cheese went horribly, horribly wrong.
I'd say it's par for the course. Did you see that crundle thread? That one started out wrong.

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 12:44:35 am »

I agree with 2, but only for block walls.

Aye! I agree.

Cthulhu Inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 07:26:44 am »

Maybe raw mat walls will only hold their shape if your masons are good enough? As in better than the Inca? They built some pretty solid walls...

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 02:39:13 pm »

Don't insult architecture or the great people who we remember.

Oh, I'm not saying architecture can't be impressively sturdy; I was just thinking that a wall composed of thousands of tiny bricks stuck together has a higher likelihood of something giving out than a solid mass of stone created by geologic forces.  Of course, I'm no architecture expert, so I could be wrong.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 04:41:01 pm »

Only block walls should be engraved in my opinion (and of course natural ones) ,how a engraver would engrave thousands and thousands of little stones to form one image? (he can,but it would take ages.)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 05:55:53 pm »

#1 is something toady has mentioned he wants to do.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html under "Workshop Material Use and Specific Object Construction"
"Ability to specify material used in jobs" and "Ability to order the construction of a specific item or decoration of item in complete detail"
It's in the pipeline, just no clue how far down it.

#2 is talked about pretty much weekly. I'm hoping it will probably manifest as an "engrave blocks" task in the mason or craft workshop, take a block and decorate it so it has a quality modifier (blocks are already equal to smoothed stone).

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 02:11:12 am »

In regards to #1.  I think having workshops being able to designate input stockpiles would also solve this problem, although in a much more generic manner, that would have impacts across a range of industries.  I think the economy needs these generic solutions, not ones specific to each industry.

@neowulf, never saw that. Awesome!

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 01:33:27 pm »

Why only block walls?  IRL all walls can be engraved, including ones made out of plaster, drywall, etc. 

I think we actually need murals.  Think about it - murals would provide another use for plaster (holds the mural in place), pottery (make the mural tiles) and glazing (pretty colors!).  Most of the ingredients are in the game already, we just need the ability to add a mural to a wall.

That could be tricky, though. The mural would have to be part of the wall/floor, like a decoration is part of a piece of furniture. It could probably be implemented as some kind of decoration job.  A mason would probably have to lay the tile, but we'd need a craftsdwarf or an engraver to design the mural first, kind of like how some buildings need to be designed by an architect.

In regards to #1.  I think having workshops being able to designate input stockpiles would also solve this problem, although in a much more generic manner, that would have impacts across a range of industries.  I think the economy needs these generic solutions, not ones specific to each industry.

I really like this idea. It's doesn't add too much to the micromanagement (can you imagine scrolling through a list of all the materials in your fort, trying to find that one gem you want to decorate with?), and doesn't make the learning cliff any steeper (no list of materials getting shoved in a new player's face), but  it really increases the level of player control.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.