Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soldiers carrying multiple waterskins  (Read 409 times)

Gehn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Soldiers carrying multiple waterskins
« on: November 25, 2007, 03:37:00 pm »

Several of my soldiers have taken to carrying two waterskins. Only one will be used, however. Switching their squads to not carry water won't cause either of the waterskins to be dropped, and forbidding doesn't work either. The soldiers in question are champions, and so I can't temporarily kick them out of the military to see if that would work. In case it matters, these fellows are all wrestlers, so they have free hands. I don't know if they're trying to use them as shields, weapons, or what.

I'll see what happens once I create backpacks and shields for them as well.

As an aside, I've run in to the infinite skin filling problem, but only with a well. The brook works fine. I spent all this effort to create a well, but all it did was make my entire military useless, so alas, it is now removed and my dwarves must still venture outside for water.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soldiers carrying multiple waterskins
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 05:16:00 pm »

On the well issue: all my hunters have a very high priority "fill waterskin" job every time when I have a functioning well. One managed to put 500+ units of instantly stagnant water into his waterskin before I noticed.

On soldiers: when I change any military dwarf to crossbow - they get a crossbow, equip a quiver but don't put any arrows into the quiver and continue to spar in barracks instead of getting some bone bolts and shooting at an archery range. Making them peasants for some time fixes this.

It is also not uncommon for my hunters to go hunt some wolves without bothering to put any bolts into their quivers (there are over 100 stacks of bolts in stockpile) though not so frequent.

I think that all those not 100% correct put/change equipment issues are connected.

I encountered all this in both .33b and .33c

[ November 25, 2007: Message edited by: Another ]

Lexicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 12:06:00 am »

Yeah, I have a similar problem.  Dwarf spent all his time refilling a waterskin and not doing anything else (it was up to 1006 last I checked).

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 12:20:00 am »

The development notes mention fixing a problem with soldiers and waterskins for the next version.