Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: [Article]Industry heads claim up to 90% of games are pirated versions  (Read 4719 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Article]Industry heads claim up to 90% of games are pirated versions
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2011, 03:57:42 pm »

pirates first and foremost reason is not being willing to spend money to play games. why spend 80 euros/dollars/counterparts in pounds or pesos or whatever, when you just need a 20 euro/month internet connection with high speed to download anything?
... (considering buying them when they do come out, and not after six/seven months) around the 60 to 80 euros (i'm considering italian videogames prices nowadays) ...
now immagine a "good year" (like this one) how many "good" (hyped) games came out? twelve? fourteen? let's go with the average.
13*70=130*7=910 euros+obviously the monthly internet fee of 20 euros, so it's 20*12 240+910=1150 euros of yearly cost in games.
as a "pirate" you would only have payed the internet connection, or in case of a free wifi zone, not even that.
You don't HAVE to buy everything when it comes out. That's just a way to make sure that you spend the most possible on every game that comes out. So, instead, you watch sales, particularly Steam sales, since 75% off sales come up quite often on Steam, and their summer and winter sales are amazing. There may be a few games you want to get immediately, but you may make an exception for them and find a way to get them cheaper (Trade in old games, for instance).

I've bought at least half a dozen great games this year that I hadn't played yet, for $5 each on Steam, and a few others for more. I didn't even get Deus Ex: Human Revolution full price since I got the discount from pre-ordering it on Steam 2 days before it was released, and I bought Portal 2 while it was on sale in Best Buy a month or two after release.

You mentioned that you pirated V:TM:Bloodlines. I bought it on Steam for about $5. With Steam's auto-patcher disabled, I installed the unofficial patch and such and used the resolution patch and had it working just great.

world of warcraft has free shards around, but not guildwars. Why is it?
hackers/crackers won't touch a drm.free game with no security. because it's NOT a "challenge to their skills", people will buy it and play it, and keep it because new contents will be freely added as long as the game keeps being bought, by maybe people who heard of how good it is.

You know guild wars has no monthly fee, and world of warcraft does, right? I should think it would be obvious why there are emulators for world of warcraft - people don't want to pay. Of course, there's also the "I want control of my own game world, to run my own for my friends," but there have been many other more mature avenues for that for years now.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2011, 05:04:55 pm »

@shadowlord
the money fact was indeed only considering the fact of buying asap (note the bracketed words)

considering buying them when they do come out, and not after six/seven months

principally because i too know of the discounts, but since we are after all considering the "pirate-ing maaterial" in a six month span games are not only already pirated, but also finished and erased from a hard drive.

and the question (rhetoric) concering world of warcraft was indeed that one about one not being on a monthly fee.

and yeah, i too enjoy the 5$ steams offers.
they drive me red.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2011, 06:57:37 am »

I should also point out that the profiteering pirates here go around restaurants carrying a stack of CDs of the latest movies. Even if you can, say, download it yourself, many people find a pirate walking up to them and selling them CDs convenient enough that justifies them paying for an illegal product that could be easily obtained for free.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2011, 09:31:25 am »

Yeah, anti-resale software is annoying.

Actually, a lot of people play illegally modified versions of games precicely because they don't want to have to worry about the anti-resale kicking in when they upgrade something.

Yeah, also, the vast majority of "pirated copies" don't exist at the same time. They are obtained and tested by people who already suspect they won't like the game, and then either dumped, or finished and then dumped. People are less attached to something they did not have to sacrifice money for.

All this DRM talk makes me sick, and I haven't even had any real horror stories.

Oh, if you want a laugh, look at the misinformation on this page. Keep in mind that this is actually a StarForce subsidiary.
http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55
Specificly under "The Truth About StarForce Drivers".

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]