Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: flow.exe help.  (Read 8257 times)

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
flow.exe help.
« on: June 18, 2007, 07:08:00 am »

How can i set up a magma smelting/forging operation before I reach the natural flow?

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
Re: flow.exe help.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 11:43:00 am »

Since the magma based buildings don't become available until you reach the magma flow, my guess is that you can't.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 11:52:00 am »

Bien, it's not exactly a challenge to reach the magma.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 02:14:00 pm »

The fastest way to do it, I *think* would be do mine a straight line and disable mining for all but your fastest worker.

Build bridges where needed. If you're back before the chasm, be sure to add doors liberally so things are less likely to sneak into your fort from behind.

Try building in a nice, straight line you'll eventually use anyway, because you'll probably expand that direction eventually.

The biggest issue with this would be that as you progress deeper, your dwarves will want rare things for their moods. I assume if you wanted an outdoor magma forge, however, you'll also be using ore.exe - but I'm not sure what sort of gems can be found near the magma.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 05:13:00 pm »

maybe hes trying to mod something or design a fort on a certain theme.

i think thers a hack to turn channels into natural flow, but they need to have magma in them first.  theres a map editing program that lets you edit the map in hex, and place whatever you want.  you might be able to do it that way.