Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding the game to make exotic pets tameable?  (Read 1291 times)

SnakeByte117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding the game to make exotic pets tameable?
« on: August 14, 2011, 04:55:59 pm »

Hey, I'm quite a newb at this game and with my new fort I'm experimenting with lots of new stuff. Making armor, training military, making an archer tower... Fun stuff.
I'd also like to experiment with different animals and stuff, and I'm disappointed about dungeon masters being broken, and I'd like to tame elephants and stuff and have WAR ELEPHANTS. However, the entry on modding in the wiki is a bit difficult to understand. I get that you have to change a [PET:EXOTIC] tag to [PET] but I don't know how to get to this tag from the dwarf fortress folder and I'm too lazy to go through every file in data, init, and... the other one.
TL;DR Step-by-step guide on making exotic pets tameable?

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
Re: Modding the game to make exotic pets tameable?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 04:59:47 pm »

Look for the "raw" folder. Download something like Notepad++ or some such, with a find and replace feature. set it to find [PET_EXOTIC] and replace with [PET]
Do this with all raw files, just to be safe.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 05:03:14 pm »

Also add [TRAINABLE] if they haven't got it already.

SnakeByte117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 05:06:47 pm »

Does it matter where I add trainable to? Does it have to be in a specific line or can I just throw it on the end or something? (sorry I know nothing about programming >.<)

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 05:09:10 pm »

Does it matter where I add trainable to? Does it have to be in a specific line or can I just throw it on the end or something? (sorry I know nothing about programming >.<)

No problem at all. Just add it somewhere in the main list. I usually add it near [PET] to keep track of it.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Modding_guide

That should help give you pointers.

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 06:34:33 pm »

Also, if you are trying to make war elephants, you will want to change the [GRAZER: 12] tag to something more manageable, like [GRAZER: 120,000].  If you don't, your elephants will starve to death.  Make sure to do all modding in the save RAWs in addition to the main RAWs to affect your current game.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 08:02:17 pm »

I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.