Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Immersive dungeon creation, or city simulation?  (Read 1416 times)

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Immersive dungeon creation, or city simulation?
« on: August 10, 2011, 09:36:54 pm »

Do you use Fortress mode just to make a kickass dungeon for your adventurer to explore in, or do you play it like the main game it is now?

Personally I like to start off by creating a thriving, near-invincible capital city, then I get into the elaborate, unnecessarily complex dungeon stuff later, hopefully forming an entrance to the BIG TOP before abandoning the fortress.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: Immersive dungeon creation, or city simulation?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:40:27 pm »

i go for "fantasy world simulation" myself.  i play forts and adventurers.  i dont play either in any way to make concessions for the other side.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Cuanbhais

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 01:08:47 am »

Fantasy world simulation, but I never play adventure mode at all. Been meaning to try it out, but the thought of hiking over the learning curve again keeps stopping me.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 01:15:56 am »

honestly there isnt really a learning curve for adventure mode. sure some of the keys are different but after learning fortress mode it's a cake walk...on magma.
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 02:02:50 am »

It is very simple to learn.
Not easy to play, but simple to learn

I personally play fortresses to enjoy the whole building a fortress that survives based on my whimsy. The power trip alone nearly makes up for the time spent doing it, and the !!fun!! had playing adds to the experience.

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 04:27:41 am »

Fantasy world simulation, but I never play adventure mode at all. Been meaning to try it out, but the thought of hiking over the learning curve again keeps stopping me.

Adventure mode is great to understand the combat mechanics and figure out what will work in the Fortress mode military.

Trying Adventure really made me realise the huge difference between axes, spears and swords. And I understood what armor protects against (or not).

Adventure is much more intuitive than Fortress too.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 06:41:55 am »

Its also pointless. Currently, you can basically just die against randomn monsters, or you can macro up pointless training macros. There isn't much interesting to do other then slaughter babies/etc.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 02:10:26 pm »

Its also pointless. Currently, you can basically just die against randomn monsters, or you can macro up pointless training macros. There isn't much interesting to do other then slaughter babies/etc.

And what is more dorfy than going to murder every living thing in the game world you are currently in?
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 02:41:25 pm »

And what is more dorfy than going to murder every living thing in the game world you are currently in?
Doing it with an item covered in FB extract from your previous fortress.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 03:04:02 pm »

Adventure mode is fun for exploration for me, but for actual gameplay it's meh. Thus I mostly use fortress mode for the fun. The last several forts I've made in part so that I could find them later in adventurer mode. They're not dungeons so much, they are little stories for an adventurer to find.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 03:08:38 pm »

I have tried adventure mode once or twice but never got into it (granted it has been a while), it just seemed.. Pointless.. There doesn't seem much to do but wander around randomly fighting.  I primarily play fortress mode.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 10:01:51 pm »

In fortress mode you can die against random monsters, use danger rooms to train an army insanely fast. There isn't much interesting to do other than slaughter goblins/etc.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 10:05:01 pm »

dont go for sandbox exploration, eh?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time