Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Umm..... I have an "interesting" king  (Read 1734 times)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Umm..... I have an "interesting" king
« on: August 09, 2011, 09:35:29 pm »

I started a fort on a nice, zombie-whale filled ocean so my dwarves could get a tan. I set about building a giant ziggaurat from Smoothed Marble Blocks adorned with precious metals and a magma waterfall. Nothing out of the ordinary at first.
I had a Stoneworker go into a posessed mood. First thought? Crap. Possessed. Next he grabs some Galena and Lignite instead of the Marble I have in abundance. Second thought? Crap. Finally, he makes me a figurine instead of a statue or a table or something useful. Crap.
I read the description on the artifact:

"Girderscorned the Coal of Silver" at least the coal of silver part fits.
This is a Galena figure in of Bembul Gearvised. All craftsdwarship is of the highest quality.
The item is a masterfully designed image of Bembul Gearvised the hag mate of shadow and dwarves in Lignite by Morul Sebsuralath. Bembul Gearvised is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the ascension of the hag mate of shadow Bembul Gearvised to the position of king of the Grapsing Ship in 3.
It is encrusted with Galena and Lead and encricled with bands of Lead. This object menaces with spikes of Lead.

Unfortunately, it's now 177 and my king is not he of the old tales, Bembul. I'm in a custom world with 40 civs, and this DOES explain why there isn't another civ nearby, and all the Humans hate me.

I want to know more of this hag mate of shadow: how do I check legends mode without quitting a game?
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
Re: Umm..... I have an "interesting" king
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 09:38:04 pm »

It's actually just a quirk of the way history is recorded. When a night creature kidnaps someone and makes them a night creature spouse, they are then retroactively considered to have always been a night creature spouse. Poor King Bembul got kidnapped by some horny hag of shadow while he was king.

As for how to check legends mode, just copy the save folder and abandon/check legends from the copy, leaving your original untouched.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 09:40:09 pm »

Damn.
Well then, what explains why there are no nearby civs?
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 09:41:43 pm »

Did you embark in a plain surrounded by mountain ranges? If the only path from the outside world through the mountains into your fortress is a river, then civs can't access it.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 09:44:37 pm »

No, I'm on the tip of a mountian with a Major river leading nearby that I'm sure would contain a Human civ this late into the game.

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 10:16:47 pm »

Humans generaly only settle in plains and ocasoaly rolling hills but they never go on mountains.
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 11:14:26 pm »

It's a mountain range. At the tip of the range is my civ. Near the coastline closest to the range (15 squares away) on a calm savana is a major river. I cannot picture a better spot for a Human civ.
Also, there is an evil wasteland and a savage forest nearby that contain neither Goblins nor Elves (I'm playing with subregions turned up to max).

UPDATE: Checked the legends. My civ has started A LOT of wars. Won most of them. Explains a lot.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:18:20 pm by franti »

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 11:15:49 pm »

That's not the issue... if no civilizations have shown up, then no civilizations can access your fortress. How long has the fortress been going? IIRC, civs only show up on your nearby civ menu if they have actually interacted with your fortress.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 11:19:44 pm »

That's not the issue... if no civilizations have shown up, then no civilizations can access your fortress. How long has the fortress been going? IIRC, civs only show up on your nearby civ menu if they have actually interacted with your fortress.
No, no. Other races show up, just not from civs that are nearby. The civs that are nearby have been wiped out. Elves travel down the continent to trade. Human raiders show up from across the inland sea where the major river is near.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 11:23:30 pm »

I'm playing on a small map with lots of civs and lots of subregions. This particular dwarven civ I'm playing now has gone to war with two human civs, two goblin civs, and one elf civ, and won against all but the human civ we're currently fighting. We're losing this one, actually, becuase they increased in size massively after they killed off some elves that were in a stretch of forest sepperating them from another human-friendly, currently un-occupied area, according to legends and the legends map.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 04:57:03 am »

Nice king! At least, it's not a gobbo, like mine  :P (apparently, my civ got beaten up quite thoroughly by elves and goblins, and the 4-5 latest kings have been goblins. The current one was an enemy warlord before taking the throne and becoming our king. I'm working hard on getting the stinking greenskin into my fortress for some sweet revenge...)

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 12:25:16 pm »

Nice king! At least, it's not a gobbo, like mine  :P (apparently, my civ got beaten up quite thoroughly by elves and goblins, and the 4-5 latest kings have been goblins. The current one was an enemy warlord before taking the throne and becoming our king. I'm working hard on getting the stinking greenskin into my fortress for some sweet revenge...)
man, i'm jealous.  a goblin dwarven king would be the uniting point of my dwarf fortresses and my goblin towers.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 09:42:27 pm »

I find that generating maps with many continents instead of one large region often leads to entire continents being isolated in terms of racial contact.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 12:35:49 pm »

I find that generating maps with many continents instead of one large region often leads to entire continents being isolated in terms of racial contact.
Generally, yes. The three main continents on my map surround an inland sea, and are connected by several narrow isthmuses (isthmusi?) so creatures can spread from one to another. Pretty neat gen.