Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: constant deadly syndrome steam-- from inside a cage  (Read 4051 times)

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: constant deadly syndrome steam-- from inside a cage
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2011, 12:30:49 pm »

How did you get it in a cage?
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2011, 01:54:34 pm »

How did you get it in a cage?

Put a huge cave spider web or something under the cage trap, if something paths into it, it will be trapped, no matter what it is.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2011, 02:55:18 pm »

Unless it avoids traps, can't be stunned, and is immune to webs. Those creatures are uncatchable. They also don't exist.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2011, 03:45:26 pm »

just...just marvelous. this is so like the T-virus, just, it's the FB-virus.
...and with necromancy...HAVE ZOMBIE DO IT! MWUAHUHAUAHUAHA *evil laughing*
...You know, this is actually a really fascinating idea. I wonder if when we get to command necromancy in fort mode if class wars could erupt when zombies start taking all the shitty migrant jobs.

qoou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2011, 12:06:29 am »

If you're still on trading relations with the elves, I vote you set up a secondary trade depot near the cage, and lock the doors to the primary trade depot when an elven caravan comes around.

Also, may we have a save-file?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2011, 05:57:43 pm »

I'll make a save file available sometime.  Already put one save of this fort on the file depot, don't want to abuse it :)  Want to do a few more things before I make it available.

Are secondary depots functioning like that?  I remember from the old days that if you had two, traders were likely to pick the one that was inaccessible and go away, ignoring the accessible one.

I'd syndromize the traders, but because of the multiple syndromes, I expect that they would turn back after 500 ticks because they got dizzy, and I'd never get a chance to watch them die 5000 ticks later.  Still, I'll see what happens whenever I get my labyrinth set up.  The cage is on a z-level that's currently all of my food and booze and production, so I've got to get all that moved before I mazify it.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2011, 06:02:03 pm »

Magma will surely fix it, but if Magma isn't easily available...

1) Build a support next to the cage.

2) Link support to lever far from cage.

3) Cut away the edges of the ceiling above the cage and the lever.

4) Build temporary walls to prevent dwarves from getting under the ceiling near the cage.

5) Pull lever.  See if any remnants of beast goo remain on anything in the area, and if so sacrifice dwarves necessary to get rid of it, they should move a lot faster if they are just carrying a rock.

Except he clearly asked for opinion on a dwarven method of doing things, not elfish pansery.

o.0  Since when was dropping a cavern on something elvish pansery :)

I do agree that weaponizing it would be *more* dwarfy, but with that particular FB, I'd just kill it.  Too much trouble to keep it alive without risking losing useful dwarves.
This is the elf part.

Elf? nah, just common Dwarven sense.
If it's Elven to not want to lose any Dwarves.. Wait.. you must be an Elven spy!
For with less Dwarves in the world.. the less forests gets deforested!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 06:03:38 pm by Ultimuh »

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2011, 08:59:04 pm »

This thread represents everything I love about DF and the people who play it.  Upon discovering what is, quite frankly, an amazing (and dangerous) phenomenon, everyone's thoughts immediately turn to using it to kill everything.
Obviously, this FB is a source of great power, which can must be used to the fullest.  On nobles.  And goblins.  And elves.  And other dwarves who are just annoying.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2011, 10:11:51 pm »

What happens if you give [NOBREATHE] to your dwarves? Does it still affect them?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2011, 10:39:59 pm »

Dunno...  Not really interested in editing raws, even though I suppose digging through world.dat is just as bad...  Know anything with NOBREATHE that I could capture and test?

Oh hey, some of my other FBs have NOBREATHE...
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2011, 11:27:29 pm »

Dunno...  Not really interested in editing raws, even though I suppose digging through world.dat is just as bad...  Know anything with NOBREATHE that I could capture and test?

Oh hey, some of my other FBs have NOBREATHE...

Carp?  Or is there a mechanism in DF to allow water breathing?

If so, perhaps bronze colossi ?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2011, 01:41:56 am »

My current fort actually has one of these FBs.  I created a gas chamber for prisoners.  My first plan failed since the distance the "Puff" actually covers is rather small, so I lured him in into a 2x1 room with a kitten and managed to get the bridge up before he could escape.  One wall of the 2x1 room is made from fortifications, and a bridge is built past the fortifications to block the boiling extract so my dwarves can work in safety.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1. setup a cage with a prisoner in the room with the bridge
2. lower the bridge
3. release the prisoner (through lever)
4. Wait for prisoner to die
5. raise bridge, go back to 1.

What is interesting in my case is that the wounds screen never shows any damage to the prisoner.  Only be viewing the status screen do you see that various organs are "filled with blood".  I believe the extract is inhaled, since even when the "puff" gets on the prisoner, it doesn't necessarily mean the prisoner will die.
Pages: 1 2 [3]