Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven Retirement?  (Read 1583 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Retirement?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 12:17:40 am »

try recruiting him then dismissing him.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 09:28:00 pm »

As it turns out, the Duchess Consort is my Chief Medical Dwarf and she has also decided to live a life of leisure.  This is simply unacceptable for two of my most useful dwarves to divulge into a life of hedonism.  I need a way to break them out of this that doesn't involve murdering them.

Would dropping them 2 floors so that they get injured and go rest work? 

I'm still really curious if anybody else has ever seen this, they've now been "On Break" for about 2 years.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 09:30:56 pm »

You'd probably cripple them beyond being able to work ever again.  Or at least for a couple of years.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 09:43:31 pm »

Kill them, and then haul their bodies to a special stockpile in the middle of your meeting room so all other dwarves know who's in charge.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 10:18:11 pm »

Nah, that just fills the dining hall with Miasma.  That'll just end in a tantrum spiral from the bad thoughts.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 10:43:31 pm »

Put clear windows in so that the only access is diagonal (or not at all...). Glass blocks pathing, so it should block miasma as well.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Makigall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 10:56:11 pm »

You should check their discriptions/bios I'm guessing they both have low self discipline and that's what's keeping them on break for so long.  Usually for my manager and broker and anything else skill independent but time sensitive I try to find dwarves who are disciplined and active so I'm more confident they'll be there to do their jobs when I need them.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 10:59:33 pm »

Well, both of them were good, hard working individuals up until 2 years ago and then they just decided it was time to give up on being productive.

They're both ecstatic as well so it's not like they're rebelling due to substandard living conditions.  I'm really at a loss of what to do because I need both of them quite badly.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 11:00:39 pm »

Try Runesmith. Its almost certainly a bug. Perhaps messing with them will fix it, or perhaps not.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 10:34:04 pm »

I tried using Runesmith and disabling his flag for "Has Breaks", no dice.

Then I tried making him a fortress guard, royal guard, and invader.  The instant I turn these off, he went right back to being on break.

What the hell is going on here?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 10:36:48 pm »

I tried using Runesmith and disabling his flag for "Has Breaks", no dice.

Then I tried making him a fortress guard, royal guard, and invader.  The instant I turn these off, he went right back to being on break.

What the hell is going on here?
nobles aren't supposed to work.  this is disabled, however.  i think toady just missed the consorts when disabling this feature.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time
Pages: 1 [2]