Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wild Card Events  (Read 638 times)

wp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wild Card Events
« on: August 10, 2011, 11:26:08 am »

I've skimmed over the development page and maybe this idea is listed under HFS, so forgive me if I'm already mentioning something that has already been thought of.

I was thinking that it would be really cool, in a "fun" kind of way, if certain events that wouldn't normally happen would suprisingly happen.  For example, say when your first dwarven caravan showed up, the king/queen showed up too.  A ghost army (like all the dead from some nearby battle site) crosses your fort, causing some minor havoc and then leaving.  Some noble decides to use your fort for a summer retreat, coming at the end of spring and leaving in the fall, and while they are there, they make all kinds of demands or give goals for you to accomplish on their return.  A volcano erupting on your site.   A titan visiting your site on your first summer, killing two dwarfs and then abducting a third and running away leaving only 4 survivors to continue building.  The ideas go on.

These things would only happen in like 1/1000 embarks but when they happen they will be mind blowing.  Just having lots of rare events or HFS would be cool.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Card Events
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 01:25:59 pm »

WOW! Dwarven simcity!

Just the last ones will cause lag,a lot of it.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 06:42:13 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=89374 <- A discussion about adding 'random events' where I indicate that 'random' events are bad and don't fit with the game.  As things stand currently, there are a lot more 'events' planned to happen procedurally- some even fairly soon in the dev process.  Like werewolves, vampires, and necromancers doing wacky stuff.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 06:44:19 pm »

Idea seems sound.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

wp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 09:18:33 am »

Oh, I see.  I understand the philosophy of the game more now.  The scope of doing things like that is amazing. 

So what about programming the procedural events so that it is a little difficult to predict when something will happen like the king showing up?  Example, with the moods that happen in the game where the possessed dwarf builds artifacts based on their profile, the same could be with a king/queen, if they like certain gems and your fortress mines a lot of them then the king/queen will show up earlier than expected. 

Thanks for the reply capntastic

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 09:34:25 am »

As capntastic has always argued, events should almost never be random. However, I still think that there should be SOME events that are random. Like weather etc.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 10:02:51 am »

As capntastic has always argued, events should almost never be random. However, I still think that there should be SOME events that are random. Like weather etc.
"random events" are juts a convenient placeholder to replace stuff you can't or don't want to actually calculate.
Like, look, weather is not really random, it is governed by athmospheric currents and solar heat and such, which are in turn governed by solar flares or planet axis tilt etc etc...
It's really all completely predefined with no room for uncertainty. (well our weather forecasts better left aside)
With the each iteration you achieve better and better approximation and leave less and less room for RNG, until you really reach the very basics of the world.

If your game keeps track of so much stuff as df is going to do, why would you want random events? I mean, when df will really be keeping track of animal migrations, climate change, volcanic activity, caravans', armies', monsters' and travellers' movement, astronomy, meteors, tectonics, then all these events will be happening naturally in the way  they should be happening, not in the way RNG (very roughly) models them.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 10:04:20 am »

I already thought DF was random enough  :P
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 10:07:56 am »

You underestimate the power of DF. Weather movements, cloud formations, rain fog and snow are ACTUALLY simulated.
But I agree, we miss the occasionnal catastrophy. Such as a earthquake, floods, torrential rain (which would cause flood down on the rivers), tornadoes...

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 11:00:51 pm »

Well in a way everything is random, but most things are the effect of a cause. It's all really about the random locations of electrons inside their shells and Brownian Motion.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?