Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Radioactive Tunic  (Read 3289 times)

Puresowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Radioactive Tunic
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 07:02:30 pm »

If I see any Giant Moles I'll be sure to try that. Honestly I think I'd be better using the water buffalo on this map. A couple got in the fort and ended up trampling ALL of my dwarfs the first go around, reclaimed because I really liked the spot.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 07:45:48 pm »

Any "Giant" cave creature except Earthworm works, really. I used Giant Moles because they're a lot meaner than they sound. Trolls work, too. Anything really. Nake Mole Dogs sound good, but aren't.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Puresowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 02:29:34 am »

The ore is normally fairly safe to handle, as the U content is pretty low.  Most basalt/marble is at about the same level of radioactivity, iirc.
Might want to do a little fact check on that. Pitchblende also goes by the name Uraninite, and is one of the richest sources of Uranium. Sure, it isn't radioactive enough to be any sort of true threat in short contact durations, but it definitely beats most other terrestrial minerals.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 02:34:28 am »

IIRC, pitchblende is warm to the touch. Ironically, the ore shields most of its own radiation because it is so dense.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 02:37:41 am »

I'm currently debating giving it to my baroness who currently literally has 50 dwarves wanted on the justice screen because she had the bright idea to forbid the export of iron items when the caravan was a couple of tiles away from screen's edge, or leaving it outside for the kobolds to find.

EDIT: spelling

Okay, unfortunate accident time. If it's deadly, give it to her. If it isn't...nobles LOVE lava.

It's not deadly yet, but give it to your baroness, then dump your baroness in lava.  After that, it will be deadly.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Puresowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 02:40:36 am »

I dunno at the moment not listening to her demands isn't ticking her off much, and no one has been beaten due to a lack of a CotG. I might just keep the status quo, and let the kobolds steal the tunic.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 04:23:04 am »

The interesting thing with pitchblende is, it's apparently fairly easy to make yellowcake uranium from it..  And really ,who doesn't love yellow cake?

I would find it amusing to mod pitchblende so that it vaporizes when mined, and gives anyone inhaling the vapors a horrible syndrome :) 

dragoncurse

• Bay Watcher
  • if patience.Huge = fortress.FUN.Huge
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 04:36:04 am »

I always bring as many as I can for construction. I like to imagine the minor amounts of radiation are slowly turning my dwarfs into supermutant midgets.
Never change bay12, never change.

X-Urists, you say?
:3

Puresowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 11:59:43 am »

That's the dwarf equivalent of calling human mutants X-Johns. The term you are looking for is X-Dorf.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 12:26:23 pm »

I always bring as many as I can for construction. I like to imagine the minor amounts of radiation are slowly turning my dwarfs into supermutant midgets.
Never change bay12, never change.

sigged
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 12:39:23 pm »

The isnt any radioactivity in Dwarf fortress(But oh if there was...) and In real life the stuff is harmless but speaking of rock, do you know what isnt harmless? Granite. Its like LOADED with radon! Thats why the grand central station in Newyork hits the Geiger counters next door.

Puresowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 08:15:56 pm »

Of course I know DF doesn't have radioactivity in it, just having a pit of fun with a known radioactive ore.  :P

Also, I wouldn't say pitchblende is harmless, just not immediately deadly, or even much of a long term threat. Certainly I wouldn't recommend wearing a tunic embedded with the stuff every day of your life.

Great, I've been sigged. Feels like a rite of passage  8)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 09:01:25 pm »

I'd say pitchblende would be at least somewhat more radioactive than granite... as I said before, it shields most of its own radiation anyway so it might not be an issue.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2011, 09:06:10 pm »

Pitchblende is very heavy, as far as normal rocks go. It may make the tunic heavier, reducing the usefullness of it.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2011, 10:23:58 pm »

Why would you want something useful when have something so utterly dwarven?
Pages: 1 [2]