Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Dwarves feel undervalued for their efforts...  (Read 718 times)

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My Dwarves feel undervalued for their efforts...
« on: December 17, 2011, 12:08:27 pm »

Fellow Dwarfherders,

My dwarves managed to kill Basen Angzaknostam, a beast that someone has forgotten in one of the caves in the fortress' basement.

Its remains were dutifully brought to the refuse pile, and its bones were handled by my bonecrafter, who turned them in rings, crowns and and other whatnots.

When the merchants came and my dwarwes brought all the stone & bone crafts up to the trade depot, they had dwarfbucks signs in their eyes, expecting real treasure for a "*forgotten beast bone ring*" and similar hard-earned souvenirs.

Imagine their shock, when "*forgotten beast bone ring*" was valued only forty or fifty dwarfbucks, when a "*dolomite ring*" sells for a hundred!

So a trinket made from a forgotten beast bone is in the same price category as if made from simple pig-, dog- or donky bone? This cannot be right, can it?

Once understanding the disappointment of his dwarves,
Christian
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
Re: My Dwarves feel undervalued for their efforts...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 12:39:54 pm »

I always thought this was weird too, but its probably a balance thing. You get so many bones from each FB kill usually.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 12:51:49 pm »

See http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Multiply_value

FBs and similar randomly-generated creatures are missing the token which give their meat and bones a value multiplier, so their bones and meat will be worth the same as a domestic animal such as a cat.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 12:53:06 pm »

Yep... The only saving grace is that you get absolutely ludicrous stacks of meat from them.