Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just general help with cages and whatnot requested.  (Read 862 times)

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just general help with cages and whatnot requested.
« on: August 10, 2011, 09:41:07 pm »

Ok so I have some moose men I would like to put in a pit, they are untamed, and are in cages. The pit has a 1x1 hatch cover entrance, wired to a lever. How would I go about piting them? When I try to designate them for pitting, the job is canceled. Someone told that to prevent this, the cages needed to be adjacent to the hatch cover. I set up an animal stockpile, but that just led to a bunch of random cages, some of them empty. Before I unpaused, I set the stockpile as custom, and deselected every animal except moose men. So how can I move these random cages, and how do I tell my dwarves to put the moose men cages and only them at the stockpile? Furthermore, would putting them adjacent to hatch cover do anything, or is designating under pit/pond just the wrong method? when answering, answer as if I know nothing about cages, because I dont.

H=hatch cover

G=ground

O=open space

S=animal stockpile

GSHSG
GGOGG
GGOGG
GGOGG
GOOOG

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just general help with cages and whatnot requested.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:01:50 pm »

Will Someone please help me?

Gurkie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 10:03:13 pm »

Okay first, you can play your setup like this:

Using your key
GGGGG
GSSSG
GSHSG
GSSSG
GGGGG

Now, hit Q hover over your stockpile, hit s, now make sure Animal at the top left is enabled and selected, then hit u and j to make it so empty cages aren't put on it.
You'll need to make a second animal stockpile and when configuring it, do not hit u and j, but hit b instead. That pile now only accepts empty cages.
If you just have a huge amount of cages with things in them, make a third stockpile the same as the first one I mentioned, but deselect the moose men from this third one.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:05:48 pm by Gurkie »

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:07:35 pm »

according to the wiki you should disallow empty cages in the stockpile next to the pit. create a stockpile for empty cages elsewhere. designate the pit, then, once all the creature you want pitted are ajacent. assign them all to the pit at once.. Not sure if lever-actuated hatch will interfere with the operation or not.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 10:58:12 am »

When I had the animals were adjacent, i selected them to be pitted, but the dwarf still just opened the cage, let the animal loose, freaked out, and ran without pitting the animal.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 02:35:16 am »

was the hatch open?
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.