Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No more immigration?  (Read 444 times)

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No more immigration?
« on: October 28, 2006, 03:44:00 pm »

Well, it seems like in one of my fortresses I don't get any more immigration of working dwarves.  This would be a good thing in most cases, except that two years ago I got attacked by a colossus and after killing all but 5 of my workers (leaving me with 12 nobles and 2 useful as 3 were wounded and basically dead) immigration simply stopped.  I still get the nobles though, and for some reason I seem to still be able to advance up the noble ladder (I got the count even though my population was 20).  It's been two years since the attack, and I've bought everything in the caravans to keep my food supply insanely high.  Also, sieges by the goblins have stopped.  The same year I got the colossus attack I was sieged three times (yes, three) by the goblins.

I'm still playing the fortress in hopes that immigrants will eventually come.

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No more immigration?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 04:16:00 pm »

Have you got plenty of food?
How many other animals?
Is there a kindof "global" population max?

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 04:34:00 pm »

Food?  I have over 1000 food for my measly ~ 20 dwarves.  All but 2 of my dwarves are nobles.

Overall, my population was much higher before the colossus came than after.  Even counting all my cows.  By the way, I got an immigrant wave right after the last siege, so I don't know what to think.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 04:47:00 pm »

Everybody died.  You shouldn't be surprised if people don't want to come for a while.  Your fortress is a death trap!
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 05:06:00 pm »

So I'm stuck with only an increasing pool of nobles coming for a few more years?  =[  This fortress is doomed!  They keep mandating stuff to be made, I'm barely able to keep up.

Oh well.  I hope I get some immigrants this coming year.

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 12:34:00 pm »

You could always stage a few coups.
(ie Kill the nobles!)

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 12:54:00 pm »

Well, the fortress is pretty much dead anyways.  The nobles decided to incarcerate the two workers because they missed a few mandates and they both starved to death.  Since there is no one to move the food from the depot to the food stockpile, the nobles can't find food anymore and are on their way to death.  I just got another wave of nobles though, so I'll take a bit longer.  I've decided to wait it out instead of just abandoning =P

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 01:10:00 pm »

LOL! I wonder if the noble die off rate is less than the noble immigration rate.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 10:32:00 pm »

Hmm...  maybe nobles should do health care?  It's one of the unskilled jobs that they might handle, and it starts to seem odd that a noble would let someone die instead of carrying a bucket of water over to them.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

PotatoEngineer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 03:39:00 am »

Disable food hauling, and the food will no longer be unavailable.  Un-allocate food stockpiles if necessary.

Or, you know, abandom the fortress, but why?