Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leveling Companions  (Read 1036 times)

AlteredTomorrow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Leveling Companions
« on: August 17, 2011, 08:07:50 pm »

Do companions gain skill points when they fight with you?  If you can manage to keep a certain companion around for a long time will they eventually become powerful or are they stuck at a predetermined level?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Leveling Companions
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:59:00 pm »

They certainly do, as do all other creatures capable of learning. I once had a loyal swordsman companion kill a titan and save me from a dragon.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 12:42:18 am »

They're capable of learning, yeah. I don't know about this version, but at least in pretty recent versions the soldiers you can pick up at castles don't actually start with any skills at all; that's why you might see a Maceman pick up enough Wrestling skill to turn into a Wrestler pretty quickly after he drops his weapon.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 02:02:49 am »

They're capable of learning, yeah. I don't know about this version, but at least in pretty recent versions the soldiers you can pick up at castles don't actually start with any skills at all; that's why you might see a Maceman pick up enough Wrestling skill to turn into a Wrestler pretty quickly after he drops his weapon.
Yeah they can level up through learning in 31.25.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 08:12:10 pm »

MACEMAN IS EVOLVING!
MACEMAN HAS EVOLVED INTO MACELORD
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 07:33:44 pm »

Altered, if you are curious you can use either Therapist or Runesmith to check on your companions skills, and how they increase after combat
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 09:39:26 am »

Altered, if you are curious you can use either Therapist or Runesmith to check on your companions skills, and how they increase after combat

I didn't know that. Great tip.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 10:11:03 am »

One truly cheaty way to level them is before you abandon a fort that your adventurers can visit, is to build a danger room whick in its center is the lever that operates the training spear traps. Enable traps for adventurers in dinit, take your companions to the room(make sure they have decent armor*) and start pulling the lever.
 * You can use use Dfusions change adventurer to equip your minions better
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 01:30:55 pm »

One truly cheaty way to level them is before you abandon a fort that your adventurers can visit, is to build a danger room whick in its center is the lever that operates the training spear traps. Enable traps for adventurers in dinit, take your companions to the room(make sure they have decent armor*) and start pulling the lever.
 * You can use use Dfusions change adventurer to equip your minions better
another way is that you can just in adventure mode flip over to fort mode using Dfmode and enlist the companions to the military and set them to spar.
through you might end up losing one if they threw him into a wall but that's the price to pay for buff companions.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes