Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Brink is free this weekend on steam!  (Read 1493 times)

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
Re: Brink is free this weekend on steam!
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 11:18:23 pm »

Does this mean if I grab it now, I own a copy and can play it whenever, or that my 'demo' runs out the end?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 11:22:39 pm »

Does this mean if I grab it now, I own a copy and can play it whenever, or that my 'demo' runs out the end?

Nah, it's a free weekend. Once Sunday rolls around, if you haven't bought it, you lose it.

I have to say: ignore Soulwynd long enough to download it and try it for yourself (bandwidth permitting, of course!). It's an okay title - I'm certainly not going to buy it at $25, but it was a decent distraction for a day or so. At the very least, give yourself the chance to formulate your own opinions. It's free, what have you got to lose?

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 11:38:37 pm »

It would be free the weekend I'm away.

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 12:06:49 am »

Tried it for an hour or so. Seemed ok for something free, but I don't feel like it's something I would buy. Seemed sort of like the average shooter game, and reminded me a lot about the Unreal series in game play. There is a sort of bots for players multiplayer for singleplayer, which I hate. And it didn't even have the cool weapons from unreal, so it sort of.....sucks I guess.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 12:19:47 am »

I tried it myself, and I sorta don't understand why it carries a level-system? So far, it only unlocks cosmetic stuff, and the unlockables are a point-buy system with 1 point per level earned, and I would suppose the heavy and light frames, but that's just about it. You'd expect it to play more like Borderlands's model, but not really. It's also not as easy to tell whose on what team as easily (color coding seems to be lacking a tad, unless you recognize outfits in a nano-second up close (too much friendly fire on my part if the glow doesn't appear in time, and my only other hint is if the health bar is of an opposing color).

Weapon-wise, I've optimized my weapons to their most effective/efficient models (beat all challenges up to at minimum 2-stars, that's all that's needed, the tutorial, and a slightly more difficult one of the same thing), end result, the weapons seem a tad unbalanced, even when all of them are fully optimized. SMGs just mop up the field more effectively than pistols, and machine guns. Sniper rifles seem to be low in ammo, and the grenade launcher gives you only 4 shots.

This would be a fun game with a good few people once in awhile, but nothing worth a long-term investment in. Haven't tried campaign mode, but I think it'll play much like Unreal Tournament III, and just use deathmatching as it's grounds for story, and explain why nobody is dead forever.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 12:54:43 am »

You nailed the concept behind campaign mode, pretty much - it's a thirty-second intro cutscene, followed by a standard match with bots. And, if you didn't already know, the bots are half-decent on defense and roflbad on attack. Seriously, defense missions generally consist of you and your team camping the first objective until the timer runs out, while attack missions consist of you single-handedly wiping the entire enemy team, hitting the objective, and then single-handedly wiping their respawn wave while defending the objective.  ::)

SMGs seem really powerful at close range, agreed, though they start to lose effectiveness at a distance. Really, though, drum magazine on an SMG means you can spray n' pray two to three guys to death before even considering a reload. Other weapons serve only to give you a long-ranged tool, to provide a backup weapon when your so-called "backup" weapon runs out of ammo, and to serve as a mount for the n00b tube grenade launcher attachment.  :o

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2011, 01:09:48 am »

During the short time that I played it, I was actually using the shotgun half the time and an SMG the other half of the time. The shotgun was rather effective without any enhancements (challenges? Didn't bother).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 11:27:59 am »

During the short time that I played it, I was actually using the shotgun half the time and an SMG the other half of the time. The shotgun was rather effective without any enhancements (challenges? Didn't bother).
I do like the shotgun/SMG weapon team. Shotguns are great for close combat, and SMGs for mid-range headshooting/run'n'gunning. Out of all the challenge maps, I found Parkour This! to be the most fun challenge (reminds me of Mirror's Edge); though I kinda wish that the levels randomized every reload, and wasn't the same checkpoints every time. Restarting keeps the same map, but after beating it or loading up the challenge again, change it up once in awhile. But still, it was fun going through a parkuor course. Shame they're not used for deathmatching though (or procedually generated parkour maps). Those would be fun arenas. Grenades would be your best friend there, but only if you're really skilled at throwing them, and know where to toss them. Short-range weapons would also be really useful in these courses as well.

EDIT: ↓
The guy can write in perfect cursive with that chin.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 02:34:00 pm by Itnetlolor »

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 11:35:43 am »

I only have one comment for the game.

Pointy chin is pointy.
Pages: 1 [2]