Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are citizens (or people, animals, etc) auto-genned?  (Read 758 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Are citizens (or people, animals, etc) auto-genned?
« on: August 05, 2011, 05:15:23 am »

Hey all.

I'd like to ask a noobish question, but are the citizens of the civilizations auto-genned, or are they all generated at world-gen?

I mean, back in older versions, if I killed a whole human town, the humans would be dead.
Now if I go back into the town, the bodies vanish and there are more humans there.

Also with goblins..If I get an adventurer and go around killing gobbos, I can retire later and look at Legends that those gobbos had no birth/history at all, so they were just generated so I'd have something to kill?

It makes sense of course, 'auto-gen' to keep the world alive.
But I'm trying to understand if it's really that way.

I like the idea of a limited world. So if you kill a human solider, this guy wouldn't be there to defend a town/raid a town, so you just changed the world's history, etc.
'If you kill it all, it ends', every killed thing would make a difference in the big picture..

Seriously though, I have no idea how the game works in this regard, and I just can't make all sentient beings disappear anymore.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: Are citizens (or people, animals, etc) auto-genned?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 05:21:58 am »

I *think* the world is divided into two types of people - Historical figures are unique and generated during worldgen, and normal townsfolk are probably generated on demand.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 05:42:50 am »

Hmm yeah, I guessed that.
But is it impossible to wipe a town out of the normal townsfolk?
Is there no limit to the on-demand generation?
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 05:47:22 am »

Apart from civilizations becoming extinct (I think you may cause this by killing enough hist figs - again, not sure...) I don't think so.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 06:24:32 am »

Weird. Anyone got any other opinions? I remember wiping out the towns back then..

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 06:27:22 am »

I'm not sure at all, so I'd like some confirmation as well.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 02:27:45 pm »

Sorry to bump this, but, I still want to know how the generation works. Anyone?  :-\

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 03:22:59 pm »

I once camped a town for several years. Killed it over and over, but it was still there... Maybe I wasn't trying hard enough?
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 03:34:51 pm »

I think that, currently, towns have very large populations, only a fraction of which are shown in adventure mode at one time. It should be possible to take out smaller hamlets with some effort. I haven't tested it, though, so who knows.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 06:43:08 pm »

I think that, currently, towns have very large populations, only a fraction of which are shown in adventure mode at one time. It should be possible to take out smaller hamlets with some effort. I haven't tested it, though, so who knows.

Yep, I think that's why they keep coming back, still I'm not sure if they are genned on-demand or are spawning from limited pool of people, allocated to town when there's a "slot" (when someone else dies).

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 07:34:30 pm »

i think that last one is how it works.  there is a "slot" open, so it autogens up a new blank slate for you, perhaps pulling a historical figure or two.  it is rare compared to the autogens, but i have run across historical figures before...  stuff like goblins being a member of a bandit band through worldgen and such.

i think the best way to test would be a night creature laden world, so the humans are mainly extinct in a reasonable period of time.  once you have a civ with lots of abandoned keeps and towns, go to a hamlet and start your murder spree.  as the night creatures have done most of the hard work of killing/converting most of the townsfolk in worldgen, in theory this should make a anctual depopulation much more possible.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 08:57:23 pm »

I hope the new towns don't have this issue. With their size, the population should be more than enough. It'll be like fighting an army again.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.