Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Protecting Caravans  (Read 4580 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Protecting Caravans
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 02:41:05 pm »

I modded Elf caravans to have guards. 6 Bowmen on Giant Tigers are enough to handle a squad of Lashers.
Likewise. Giving them maces instead of swords also seems to help a bit as well; wood is a lousy edged weapon but but perfectly acceptable for bludgeoning.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 02:50:51 pm »

I modded Elf caravans to have guards. 6 Bowmen on Giant Tigers are enough to handle a squad of Lashers.
Likewise. Giving them maces instead of swords also seems to help a bit as well; wood is a lousy edged weapon but but perfectly acceptable for bludgeoning.
Wood Swords are crap. I think elves should be able to use Obsidian Swords.
Wood Spears aren't too bad, though.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 02:54:36 pm »

wood is a lousy edged weapon but but perfectly acceptable for bludgeoning.

But since wood is really light, doesn't that make it bleh for bludgeoning, too?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 03:20:39 pm »

If your tunnel is at least 3 tiles wide and it emerges into daylight 1 tile from the edge of the map, then there's only a 3-tile wide path to the depot from those few squares.  If there is such a path (check the 'D' screen) then traders arrive there if they can.  The only problem is sometimes you have features outside of your embark that restrict their access to one particular side or area, and then they won't appear at your tunnel no matter what you do.  That's when you dig tunnel number 2 (or 3, or 4 if you want all sides covered)

Is this theory, or have you been using a tunnel like this in 31.25?  Does it limit the spawn location of elven, human, and dwarven traders?    Does it affect how diplomats spawn?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 03:48:56 pm »

wood is a lousy edged weapon but but perfectly acceptable for bludgeoning.
But since wood is really light, doesn't that make it bleh for bludgeoning, too?
It's not likely to be much use against an opponent in high-quality plate armour, true, but it's still heavy enough to break bones and cause concussions; a wooden mace should be at least equal in lethality to a baseball bat or an axe handle.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 05:31:26 pm »

Make a tunnel system with retracting bridges for walls. You can juggle caravans and sieges this way. Drowning traps help.

HUGE_WALRUS

• Bay Watcher
  • What was that, sandvich? Kill them all?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 06:32:03 pm »

I don't defend caravans.  There's a REASON my fort has a wall and a dry moat around the entrance - that's the region I protect.  Getting there's your problem.  :P
Pages: 1 [2]