Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recursing containers in Adventurer mode.  (Read 401 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Recursing containers in Adventurer mode.
« on: July 12, 2007, 01:57:00 pm »

I thought that this was fixed way back when, but I recently had an adventurer exploring a fortress who had picked up a cabinet to store things in.  I eventually found a green glass cup and put it in the cabinet.  Then, after storing a tame lizard I'd found in a cage in the glass, I decided, on a whim, to try putting the cabinet inside the cup that was already inside the cabinet.  Boom, game hangs.

Apologies if this has come up a billion times before...  I'm a bit out of the loop.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Recursing containers in Adventurer mode.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 03:51:00 pm »

This might be Bug 181.  At least, when I handle Bug 181, I'm going to try all of the recursion cases.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 05:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>I decided, on a whim, to try putting the cabinet inside the cup that was already inside the cabinet.</STRONG>

When I did this, the "cabinet" and it's contents vanished without any other adverse effects.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 10:11:00 pm »

Huh, odd.  Maybe it's because I had lots of other things in the cabinet, or something else in the glass, or a live lizard in there, or something.  Presumably in my case the game tried to trace its way upwards or downwards through the loop of objects for some reason and hung, while in your case it didn't bother to look at them, so it was able to keep going.

[ July 12, 2007: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 12:53:00 am »

Maybe you deleted enough stuff all at once to crash the game.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 07:39:00 am »

Well what do you expect? You can't bend the very fabric of space without the universe collapsing!
Reality is for people who lack imagination