Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: All of this undead talk..  (Read 800 times)

Sygnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
All of this undead talk..
« on: August 03, 2011, 06:32:17 am »

I see there seems to be a lot of development going toward some sort of undead update. Am I correct in assuming it's all being developed and will all be added to the game in a major patch? I'm very unfamiliar with how Toady updates..

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: All of this undead talk..
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 06:41:41 am »

Youll see an official release on the main site when its ready. Dont worry. Its not just undead. Its necromancers, redesigned cities. A functioning world economy even.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 06:43:10 am »

Official releases come as zip'ss and tgz's with the entire game folder included, not as patches to upgrade older versions.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 12:21:19 pm »

Does he have a release date for it yet?
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 12:33:57 pm »

Toady doesn't generally give release dates except sometimes when they are literally days away.  He doesn't really like to be held to a set time to finish everything (something I understand).  For a while I thought it was soon.. But the update has grown in scope amazingly so who knows.. That said it will be awesome when it gets here.

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 02:21:28 pm »

It's been 4 months since the last release, and from what Toady has said on the front page, he's wanting to get another release out.  Who knows how long that will take though.  Typically when a new version is released, you might as well start a completely new world (most of my forts have ended due to new releases).  Also, it's pretty common for there to be a couple weeks of bug testing after a long development period, so even when a new version is released, there might be new bug releases cropping up everyday / week, and it might be worth holding off on switching to the new version until a more stable release is out.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 02:31:23 pm »

Also, releases tend to break graphics mods slightly, so you might have to wait a few days after the official release for the graphics modders to catch up. That goes double if you use a gameplay mod.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 02:37:50 pm »

Also, releases tend to break graphics mods slightly, so you might have to wait a few days after the official release for the graphics modders to catch up. That goes double if you use a gameplay mod.
IF you use a graphics pack, or course. I tend to switch as soon as a new version comes out, and certain bugs can be amusing, such as the migrants of 0.31.13
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?