Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I cannot defeat Bronze Colossus  (Read 2822 times)

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I cannot defeat Bronze Colossus
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 05:57:01 am »

In my experience even picks won't do much damage to a BC as they do piercing damage like spears. And hammers I would think are totally useless as the BC won't get smashed to a pulp like organics would.

The only serious damage I've ever done to a BC was when a swordsdwarf took one of its arms off with a steel short sword (He paid for it with his life, sadly). Yuo can scratch, dent them etc but serious damage is hard to come by. The best advice is to use slicing weapons like swords or axes, made of steel (anything else tends to glance off) or better yet, adamantine.

Or cage him and sic him on goblin sieges.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 07:32:32 am »

Actually, I think piercing damage works well, as long as you can keep applying it for long enough (BC stuck on spear trap or something). The low contact area allows the picks or spears to penetrate the tough metal fairly well. Eventually, the Colossus will wear off and die - maybe. I haven't got enough experience to be 100% sure...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 09:07:20 am »

Build a hallway full of upright spikes connected to levers, then lure him into there and kebab him. Can take down allmost anything eventually.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:52:21 am by Darth_Karl »

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 10:38:29 am »

Just a couple of things...

Blunt weapon effectiveness isn't only about density. Differences between regular (non-mooded non-spoilery) materials for blunt weapons are slight and there's no clear hierarchy. Whether toughness/stiffness trumps density depends on details (who's swinging what at whom). Silver may be ever so slightly better against canned humanoids, steel may suck slightly less against everything else, but in the end it hardly matters.
Blunt weapons will be ridiculously ineffective at killing bronze colossi, although plundered whips may be useful for disabling them.

Mining picks are almost, but not quite, entirely unlike spears. Nowhere near as pointy (five times the contact area), hitting with considerably more force, lacking the extreme penetration depth. They do best against bronze colossi of all dwarf-made weapons (followed by short swords), and very well overall.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 10:56:17 am »

Halberds and Whips are probably the best weapons against armoured creatures, although I doubt you've got those avaliable in abundance.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.
Pages: 1 [2]