Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A tale of Dwarven Irony  (Read 4686 times)

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A tale of Dwarven Irony
« on: March 27, 2008, 12:50:00 am »

The story of which I am about to tell comes from the Dwarven Fortress of ‘Deathcrystells’ within ‘The Dune of Craft’. It is a Desert Fortress where food and water are sparse within a sea of red and yellow sand. Beneath this horrible plain is a strong obsidian base, where the worthy fortress was founded.

During year 1053 Ducim ILromgeshud, one of my legendary miners, was working on a glass roof project. Ducim was digging on the surface of the desert, channeling out the 5 z-level deep hole that I would eventually glass over. I had already dug out the -1, -2, -4, -5 z-levels. So there was only the surface level and -3 level left.

However I am inexperienced at using the channel function and at how to prevent cave-ins. So the inevitable disaster struck, Ducim caused a cave-in on the top level, fell down two levels, smashed through the floor of the third and landed two levels below. Then the roof proceeded to fall on him, mangling his left and right upper arms (red), breaking his right lower leg (red) and damaging his foot and three of his toes (yellow).

Ducim ILromgeshud lay unconscious on the floor covered in his own blood for many days. Eventually a health care worker came and put him in his room for recovery. I knew that the likelihood of him surviving was low but he was one of my starting 7, and probably my favorite dwarf so I let him live.

It took a few months for me to realize that the miner was extremely thirsty and that I needed a well. So I set about making a well in the middle of a desert. I had to dig out an aquifer that was present in yellow sand but not in red. Seeing as the desert was about 95% red I had a bit of work to do. Ducim was nearing the point of death when my lazy carpenter had finally taken apart a couple beds to make two buckets. A peasant then rushed of to get him a drink of refreshing water.

His recovery was slow. I was almost sure that he was going to die so I ordered an obsidian tomb to be built deep below the fortress. I mandated four platinum and 20 obsidian statues to be built and placed them in his tomb. Ducim’s 10x6 tomb was smoothed, engraved and ready for the death of a king. Ironically as I was putting the finishing touches in, Ducim was nearly back to put health.

To celebrate his recovery, I turned his tomb into a party hall. Many parties were held.  I decided to then celebrate Ducims recovery myself by putting a giant skylight over the tomb/party hall that was 9 z-levels beneath the surface. It was a bad Idea.

Ducim and four of his mining buddies were involved in a second cave-in. They fell 9 z-levels to their death landing in the middle of a party currently being held in Ducim’s own tomb. I was taken aback by his Ironic demise.

(This is a true story)

[ March 27, 2008: Message edited by: A_Fey_Dwarf ]

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
Re: A tale of Dwarven Irony
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 12:26:00 pm »

That was awesome.

'Hey, did I ever tell you guys about what happened the last time I did one of these jobs? I was mining along just like this, and then I picked away a bit too much rock, kinda like this...'

Tulthix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 01:00:00 pm »

That was awesome

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 02:03:00 pm »

I love the stories that come out of this game. They're so varied!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 10:33:00 pm »

Thanks for the comments. I was so amazed when it happened that i just had to post it on the forum. I also love the storys that come out of DF, It amazes me that Toady could create such an awesome game that could then generate these creative stories.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 12:25:00 am »

Ouch, and yet awesome.  Too bad glass doesn't shatter, just imagine the partying dwarves screaming as shards of glass rained down upon them 90 ft (assuming each layer is about 10 ft high) above.

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 11:56:00 am »

Wow! This would make a great comedy.
..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 02:04:00 am »

quote:
Too bad glass doesn't shatter

I didn't realize that, Ducim didn't fall through any glass so i couldn't find out. I have just glazed every floor of the 9z-level deep sunroof and even managed to do a couple of clear glass layers (Used loads of precious trees, it took ages to import from traders). A bit off topic but does anyone have a strategy for channeling out large areas, the way i do it is fast but dangerous.

[ April 08, 2008: Message edited by: A_Fey_Dwarf ]

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 12:09:00 pm »

Don't ever use channels.  Go down one Z level and make upward ramps.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 02:15:00 am »

Ok i didn't realise that. Thanx, now my miner dwarves won't die.  :roll:

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 08:31:00 am »

Oh, they will still die. Just not nearly as much.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Gotham123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 08:23:29 am »

Cool story bro