Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TorchDrunken - A Community Fort  (Read 1430 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
TorchDrunken - A Community Fort
« on: August 01, 2011, 04:06:41 pm »

After my previous failures in expeditionary ventures, I felt it necessary to cease wasting my funds, and shift my focus to a new method of... planning my voyages.
First of all, for another expedition, I needed a new group of dwarves. I consulted my past acquaintances, but I realized that after news had gone out about my horrible failure at a coherent expedition, nobody would be willing to come. Thus, I assembled a new group, after traveling to a foreign Dwarven settlement that I had come across in my travels. The healthy guilds there allowed me to recruit quite a few skilled followers. Now, our fortress will begin with a healthy industry, once we set up the general work areas.

Spoiler: Dwarves (click to show/hide)

First of all, it seems that most of the world hates us:

Now, the second part of my plan was to unfold. I told the dwarves that we would head to a nice, safe, temperate forest with lots of safe animals:

In actuality though, I had set off for this wonderful spot:

It's the perfect spot! A winding spire overlooking a mountain. It was all a dwarf could hope for in a location to embark to! Of course, minus trees and any amount of safety whatsoever. Regardless, I have trained myself in hammer usage prior to this. I did, however, forget my hammer...

A temporary setback! We have arrived. My team asked me why we came here, I simply replied, "This spot is better. Let us strike the Earth!"

There are laterite pebbles tot he north. These red stones sometimes bear iron or even aluminum! I will be sure to prospect these for minerals. The chert mountain to the west will be our starting point.

I figured that I needed a more fitting title. Thus, I pronounced the title of High Inquisitor upon myself.

---------------------------------------------------

So guys, this is yet another community fort. I really hope that this one will actually work, unlike my previous embarks. I have stopped modding for now, so this fort should be safe from that. Dwarves are available, and lets hope 31.26 doesn't come out too soon. For those wanting male Dwarves, we have a craftsman and an engraver.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:10:20 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TorchDrunken - Tales of a Psychotic Cartographer
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 04:10:58 pm »

I wish to be the Stone Crafter. 
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 04:34:16 pm »

I wish to be the craftsman
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 04:36:09 pm »

I'll take the metalworker.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 04:42:59 pm »

I'll be the engraver!
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 04:49:56 pm »

I wish to be the craftsman

HEN's already got that dwarf.

Quote from: Everyone Else

You're in!

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 05:28:18 pm »

I want the next migrant male craftsman then.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 05:51:18 pm »

Stone crafter? Wood crafter? What kind?

Craftsman's guild is just the custom profession name.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 05:59:35 pm »

10th Granite, 403

This first week has been a rather boring one. Primarily, we've been doing hauling work. More specifically, the other dwarves. My tastes are too refined for such duties.

Unfortunately, we brought only one pick to cut down on costs. Blasted inflation, should a shaped bar of metal really cost five times more than a non-shaped bar? The mountainhome-issued picks aren't even well-made, they just plain... "suck," to put it bluntly.

Anyway, Kadol, the miner with a pick, immediately noticed deposits of anthracite--a shiny, but more importantly, useful--and rare--form of coal--and iron ore. Hematite and Limonite dot the exposed sections of the endless dunes to the west.
Our miner immediately mined out a few chunks while we hauled the items to our future location. I am planning to design a wall soon--I hope our miner can get enough raw material.

On a more pressing note, HEN, the carpenter, told me that we have three logs. Just three...

Since one of those will become charcoal for our furnaces... that leaves us with enough logs for two beds. Two beds! Well then, one for me, and one for the carpenter himself, I suppose. The rest of the dwarves will have to wait a bit. We brought some yarn, so perhaps we could use that as passing for a stone bed. Maybe. More importantly, however, we need a pick for Bdthemag, and a hammer for me. A suit of armor wouldn't hurt either.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:59:45 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 06:35:03 pm »

I wanna be a bone carver then.

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 06:40:56 pm »

Can i be the head marksdwarf when one comes around?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 09:00:23 pm »

Alright, I'll play until the next migrants arrive.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 06:12:17 pm »

27th Felsite, 403

Things are going unremarkably well.

We have the smelters up, and we're going through hematite and limonite like crazy. The coal here is extremely rich, and we've been getting as many as four bars of coke out of a single boulder! It's actually rather amazing. I, myself, have a spiked hammer and a tower shield, and I am eager to test it out on something.

Speaking of which...

My hammer longs for combat... I believe it is telling me. it is now my calling. I shouldn't, but I must! This is it!

Bwahahahahaah!

(Note: I don't know why it said that and not hammerdwarf. Maybe it's because my dwarves actually didn't pick me as the leader, so I chose my dwarf manually. Teeheehee.)

In the aftermath of that... uhh... outburst... the end result was one less camel for us to fear. Everyone hates camels.

4th Galena, 403

Migrants have arrived! Looks like the mountain-homes weren't lying when they promised to send more dwarves our way.

Spoiler: Dwarves (click to show/hide)

I quickly rushed to greet them, thinking about why the mountain-homes would send.

I was greeted by a bald, female dwarf.

"Uhh, hello there. You must be the leader of this migrant wave. What skills do you have?"
"Where are we?"
"Welcome to TorchDrunken! I know it's not what it was supposed to look like, but we're doing well! Just come on in and--"
"I don't like helping people."
"Well, I can tell. But still, it's not like you have a choice, do you?"
"You don't scare me."

I drew my hammer, but before I could get it out, she had already slammed her fist into the side of my head. I fell over dazed.

"Told ya."
"You win this one."

After that... embarrassing moment, I asked the dwarves what they could help us out with. Morul had some things about fighting to teach me, and one of the dwarves was a talented bowyer, which would be perfect if we actually had any wood or bones. Or dwarves that knew how to fire a bow.

Oh well, they can help with the farms, I suppose. And there's still quite a bit of rock to be hauled. I drafted the dwarves into some of the divisions we have. Most of them went into farming. The bone carver told me his name was "FireLordSky." Interesting.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 07:31:01 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TorchDrunken - A Community Fort
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 05:11:12 pm »

Is there actually any interest for this? Maybe I should just forget it. The fort is a mess, anyway.