Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Running DF without a GUI?  (Read 2507 times)

oinker84

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Running DF without a GUI?
« on: January 14, 2012, 07:53:27 pm »

I run linux and was wondering if anyone has ran DF without using a GUI?

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Running DF without a GUI?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 08:14:23 pm »

You mean... playing with your monitor turned off?

oinker84

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 08:21:20 pm »

errr.. no
In computing, a graphical user interface (GUI, sometimes pronounced gooey[1]) is a type of user interface that allows users to interact with electronic devices with images rather than text commands.
google is your friend

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 08:23:26 pm »

errr.. no
In computing, a graphical user interface (GUI, sometimes pronounced gooey[1]) is a type of user interface that allows users to interact with electronic devices with images rather than text commands.
google is your friend
You want a text adventure?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 08:27:32 pm »

I'm sure he knows what a GUI is, it's just that your question doesn't make much sense without clarification. Can you elaborate on what you mean by not using a GUI?

If you mean something like playing in the terminal I'm pretty sure DF doesn't support that.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:29:08 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

oinker84

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 08:33:42 pm »

oh..  :o i mean like runing DF in a server that doesnt run X for example. And if this is used as a way to preserve battery power in a laptop, would it make sense since DF uses a lot of resources

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 08:44:35 pm »

Well there's DFterm for running it in a server. I don't know much about it but it sounds like what you want to look at.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 08:58:18 pm »

In init.txt there's a setting called PRINT_MODE. By default it's [PRINT_MODE:2D]. Change that to [PRINT_MODE:TEXT] and start the 'df' Unix executable in a terminal.

Note to Windows/Mac users: This will only work in GNU/Linux as far as I know. Although the init file says that [PRINT_MODE:TEXT] works on Mac as well, it doesn't seem to by my tests.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 09:19:55 pm »

DF uses a GUI.  Even in Text Mode, it uses a GUI.  The GUI is made up of text, but it is graphical.  It uses text to create pictures for you to look at.  There is a menubar to tell you what buttons to press, which is a GUI.  There is a map, which is a GUI.  The only way to play DF without a GUI would be to turn the monitor off and... I don't know, use sound effects?

No GUI would indicate a text adventure.  Or perhaps input without output, or output only in terms of a raw data dump saved to a file which you'd read separately.

Now, if the question is "Has anyone played DF without a tileset?" then the answer is yes, there are many people here who even prefer it that way.  I myself prefer it for Adventure Mode, since tilesets are usually not optimized for adventure mode and things can look wonky on the travel maps, but find tilesets useful for dwarf mode.  And yes, you can play DF in Curses mode, with actual text being printed to the screen instead of utilizing bitmaps of text.

But that's besides my point.  Even in pure ASCII mode, there's a GUI. His original question was nearly meaningless, and I honestly could not figure out how you could even conceptualize DF without a GUI.  The GUI is the O part of DF's I/O interface.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 09:22:02 pm by Fieari »

oinker84

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 10:43:58 pm »

Im not big on sarcasm. Anywho. DrKillPatient got me far. So in ubuntu CRTL ALT F1 takes you to fullscreen X and just modify the init.txt and it runs perfectly. Now back to the question does Unity HAVE to run in the background.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 02:15:48 am »

Now back to the question does Unity HAVE to run in the background.
That sounds pretty easy to test.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 02:26:31 am »

Oh, I see- he means he wants to run DF without a *window manager*. There would be less sarcasm if you didn't use terminology likely to completely bamboozle 90% of your audience.

Really- most folks here will be running Windows and haven't had the option to run sans windows since the win98 era...

And even the linux folks aren't that likely to take 'GUI' to mean 'x11' instead of <my application>...

But to the question in hand- CtrlAlt F1 should take you out of x11 altogether*. If you do that before logging in, you should be able to shutdown x11 and all that goes with it. I think these days its something like "service stop <login manager>" where <login manager> is probably gdm for a basic ubuntu- there are a few other options like kdm or lightdm around though...

* unless Unity has really broken some stuff- I wouldn't know, I left for xfce a while back

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 02:29:25 am »

does Unity HAVE to run in the background.

Nope. The article below shows how to temporarily stop X once it's on, and also how to stop it from automatically starting on boot. See option 1 for temporary halt.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/NonGraphicalBoot
(I assume you're using Ubuntu because you said you were using Unity.)
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

oinker84

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 11:18:55 am »

Great info, thanks! Sorry for the confusion.