Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sharktress  (Read 1609 times)

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
Sharktress
« on: August 01, 2011, 08:53:11 pm »

A series of questions:

1. Is it possible to tame sharks and the like?

2. Can fish swim in 4/7 water?

3. Will workshops still operate in 4/7 water?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sharktress
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 09:03:18 pm »

Yes, No, No.

Aquatic animals can be tamed, but generally air-drown before that can happen.
Non-vermin creatures need 7/7 water to swim. (Vermin just teleport.)
Workshops need 2/7 or less to operate.

All of this is unconfirmed by anything. Feel free to correct me.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 09:58:53 pm »

No, it is not possible to tame sharks without modifying the raws.  Sharks don't have [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC].

If you modify sharks to have [PET], and catch some in cages, you can tame them without worrying about them air-drowning.  Taming a creature doesn't require removing it from the cage, and creatures don't drown in cages (provided they weren't drowning when they were caged).

Training a tame animal to become a war animal does require removing it from a cage and taking it to a kennel.  This is where you'll have problems, since the shark will drown in water less than 4/7 deep, and the dwarf will cancel the job in water deeper than 3/7 deep.

Swimming creatures will never voluntarily move into water that is less than 7/7 deep.  In 4/7 deep water, I think they'll just freeze in place and not move.

Workshops won't work in water deeper than 3/7.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 11:10:41 pm »

The easiest way to do this would be to temporarily mod sharks to breathe air.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 11:29:50 pm »

The easiest way to do this would be to temporarily mod sharks to breathe air.

So imagine carp. Now imagine huge carp with a desire to eat dwarf flesh. Now imagine a huge carp with a desire to eat dwarf flesh that can breath air and walk on land.
it will be the end of all dwarfkind!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Umune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 11:58:46 pm »

Ok, I think I know what I'm going to do. Obviously I will add the [PET] tag but I don't think that I will make them able to breath on land. Is the war training time affected by the skill of the dwarf? If so, I wonder if it could be possible to engineer a system where a legendary animal trainer rapidly trains a shark after dragging out of water, immediately followed by a standby dwarf "pasturing" the shark...maybe just collapsing the floor beneath the workshop.

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 01:18:52 am »

Would an adequate or higher level swimmer be able to carry out tasks underwater? I have a professional swimmer in my fort for just this purpose, although I haven't actually begun his training yet due to extreme incompetence.
This is to make me recognizable.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 02:27:22 am »

The issue is not the dwarf refusing to train in deep water because of no-swimming skill, dwarves tend to not care about the whole "dieing and sending a fortress in a downward spiral of tragedy" thing. They simply don't do tasks in 4/7 water because that's the way the code works.

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 05:53:24 am »

i tried bits of this when i decided to introduce aquatic versions of elves, dwarves, humans, goblins, and kobolds to the game. had hoped to have them work underwater, since the cities were built there. no luck at all. even fully amphibious 'dwarves' refuse to get in the water for any reason. and if the tunnel they're digging gets flooded, they scramble for the high ground like those that can't breathe underwater. i was disappointed

i'd also gone through and modded absolutely every fish to be pets, the vermin ones included. had a huge option of pet fish to begin with. did my embark with nearly all ocean, so i'd be close to the water...all the fish air drowned pretty much instantly. sad days, sad days. the only good news was the airdrowned  vermin fish (once got them out of their cages...had to dump them to get 'em out) counted as fished up food, so those could be eaten, at least

what you may want to do is have the cage built right next to where you want to pit the shark, maybe build the kennel right next to it, war train, then pit straight out of the cage. just make sure the sharkpit has 7/7 water in it! and pray it works...i honestly wouldn't be surprised if they airdrowned even underwater because of touching the air briefly. i had fish drown...not airdrown, regular drown...after taking them from a cage and dropping them into a glass terrarium full of water...

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 06:25:53 am »

Silly DF Player. If the dwarves are running, you didn't close the tunnel behind them. :D

Umune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 09:33:37 am »

How many ticks does it take for a fish to air-drown?
&
Is animal training time affected by skill?

All I want to know right now.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 11:04:58 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that when taming an animal the animal trainer goes to the cage. The creature in the cage is in some sort of stasis. It's only when you're taming war creatures do they have to bring them to the kennel.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 11:10:50 am »

I think animal training time can be marginally decreased by a high-level trainer. However, it's still likely to be longer than the time it takes a shark to air-drown. You can try if you want.