Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why didn't I try this before!?  (Read 1306 times)

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Why didn't I try this before!?
« on: July 02, 2013, 10:53:42 pm »

I recently started a new fortress. It was in some untrained untamed wilds, so I had a fairly large early military to fend off the giant bagers. Unfortunately, there weren't enough weapons to go around, so I gave a pick that used to belong to an unfortunate miner. I instructed said dwarf to kill some thirps men. Moments later he had bisected one of them, but not before severing both his arms. I am now sorely tempted to give all of my military dwarves picks.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Why didn't I try this before!?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 11:06:45 pm »

Pick is deadly. Anyone who has dealt with a tantruming miner knows this. :D

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 11:17:58 pm »

Picks are amazing.  Honestly, the only reason I don't use them more is because I rely on Dwarf Therapist to organize my army.  I like being able to see all the various military skills and how each soldier compares at a glance.  Mining is on the labors tab, separate from the rest of the weapons on the military tab.  Just a minor quibble and I did have a legendary pick fighter for a while during the plague of dwarven dwarfism ;).

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 12:04:28 am »

Completely off topic, but I'm beginning to be able to recognize Verdant's posts without seeing his name or avatar (I.e. on my phone) by the prolific use of inline links to other threads or posts.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Abraxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 12:37:21 am »

Picks are amazing.  Honestly, the only reason I don't use them more is because I rely on Dwarf Therapist to organize my army.  I like being able to see all the various military skills and how each soldier compares at a glance.  Mining is on the labors tab, separate from the rest of the weapons on the military tab.  Just a minor quibble and I did have a legendary pick fighter for a while during the plague of dwarven dwarfism ;).

Hit the "Windows" tab at the top of the Dwarf Therapist screen and select "grid views".  Right click and select "edit" on "Military", left click on "Weapons in the left side of the screen, then right click in an empty space on the right and find the mining skill, add it, you're good to go.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 12:40:59 am »

Well there!  That's good to know, thank you!

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 12:50:46 am »

Might also want to have the mining brigade train up to 10, or was it 11, in wrestling so they become champions and don't complain about long patrol duties anymore.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 01:49:43 am »

I usually use miners as an early military, especially when in a savage/evil biome

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 04:19:28 am »

Picks are basically strong whips with alot of sharp force being focused on a tiny impact area, (imagine a battleaxe except instead of a blade, it's a spear in a T shape).
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 04:29:59 am »

Would this be a good reason to specify a metal type for picks?  Normally, there is no imperative to make the pick out of any specific material-- an aluminum pick cuts rocks just as good as a steel one.

but, if pick as a weapon is type blunt, then you want one that is as dense as possible, right?

The raws say it is weapon of type edge, but with an edge value that is rather low compared to its penetration.

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK]
[NAME:pick:picks]
[SIZE:500]
[SKILL:MINING]
[TWO_HANDED:47500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:42500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]
[ATTACK:EDGE:100:4000:strike:strikes:NO_SUB:2000]

*The format is ATTACK:EDGE/BLUNT:contact area:penetration size:verb2nd:verb3rd:noun:velocity multiplier
Penetration size currently only matters for edged attacks.

This means you want the pick made of the lightest possible material so it can be swung really fast, as I understand it.  Candycane pick should be brutal?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:42:56 am by wierd »

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 08:35:21 am »

Would this be a good reason to specify a metal type for picks?  Normally, there is no imperative to make the pick out of any specific material-- an aluminum pick cuts rocks just as good as a steel one.

but, if pick as a weapon is type blunt, then you want one that is as dense as possible, right?

The raws say it is weapon of type edge, but with an edge value that is rather low compared to its penetration.

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK]
[NAME:pick:picks]
[SIZE:500]
[SKILL:MINING]
[TWO_HANDED:47500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:42500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]
[ATTACK:EDGE:100:4000:strike:strikes:NO_SUB:2000]

*The format is ATTACK:EDGE/BLUNT:contact area:penetration size:verb2nd:verb3rd:noun:velocity multiplier
Penetration size currently only matters for edged attacks.

This means you want the pick made of the lightest possible material so it can be swung really fast, as I understand it.  Candycane pick should be brutal?

You want the sharpest material, so yes, candy. The only thing that affects swing speed is the velocity multiplier -- in this case, 2000 (at the end of the ATTACK tag).
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 08:38:14 am »

A plain old copper pick is brutal enough already. I can't imagine a candy one. It would probably be worse, considering all of the rotting goblin parts causing said pick-wielding dwarf to tantrum.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 11:43:28 am »

I haven't done any testing on this, but I suspect that the relatively small amount of extra contact compared to a shortsword stab crosses an important size threshold and allows a much wider variety of (dwarf-size) limbs to be cut off in one strike.

There's also the minor perk of picks not having a blunt attack. It's rare that dwarves will waste a turn hitting an enemy with the blunt end of an adamantine sword or axe, but it's rather annoying when it does happen.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.