Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plant Gathering has begun to cancle. Again.  (Read 520 times)

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Plant Gathering has begun to cancle. Again.
« on: October 26, 2006, 02:04:00 am »

Just recently i had my legendary miner trapped on the other side of a channel he just built, and flooded. So, while i waited for the mason to construct the bridge, i told my farmer to gather the plants that were growing along the underground river bank.

He gathered one plant, and then all the other jobs disappeared.

However, the moment the bridge was built over the channel to save the trapped miner, the plants no longer deselected themselves when the farmer was told to gather them. I was also giving the miner dig jobs to keep him busy while he was trapped; maybe that has something to do with it, too?

EDIT -- No, wait, i dont think it does. Just now the plants cancled themselves AGAIN, without the miner or anyone being trapped or in any sort of distress. Starting to be like the Sherif; the nightmare never ends.

//Creepy movie preview voice
Just when you thought you had fixed it, it comes back...

[ October 26, 2006: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Plant Gathering has begun to cancle. Again.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 09:16:00 pm »

You can't gather from a dead shrub. Most likely the shrubs died.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 09:36:00 pm »

It would be nice if dead shrubs turned brown or grey to indicate that they are dead.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 11:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zurai:
<STRONG>You can't gather from a dead shrub. Most likely the shrubs died.</STRONG>

Likely. However, i was able to re-select the ones that were deselected the moment i noticed they were deselected; so they didn't die.

One possibility is that the plants are being cancled if there's no one there to pick them. Each time i saw the plants deselected, i also noticed that all my plant collectors were asleep, but it's likely just a coincidence.

quote:
It would be nice if dead shrubs turned brown or grey to indicate that they are dead.
Grey; brown is reserved for muddy shrubs. Also, the dead status should take precidence over the muddy status. Also, you've given me an idea.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 07:06:00 pm »

They do change color right now, but I think it's brown, which is the muddy color.  As for what's happening, I'm not sure at this point.  Cancellations are usually an access problem, but if that's not what happened, then it could be something worse.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 09:24:00 pm »

Maybe traffic jams are causing time-outs?

Turpitude

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 01:46:00 am »

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, plant gatherers can only carry one gathered item at a time.  It sounds to me like he picked up the one plant (or 3 strawberries or whatever) he could carry, couldn't find a path back to the food storage, deselected the other plans, and went back to mining.  Which seems fairly logical to me but I dunno  :o
hat sphinx of cement and aluminium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination?