Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about name generator  (Read 921 times)

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
Question about name generator
« on: February 23, 2008, 07:55:00 am »

When choosing words, does the name generator look into all the symbols the word belongs to, or just the one symbol?

Example
There is a town beside the sea, and the word PORT belongs to the symbols AQUATIC, ARTIFICE, TRADE, NAME_BUILDING_KEEP. Would its matching give it a higher chance of popping up for this than other words?

Is there synergy, I guess is the word.

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Question about name generator
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 07:37:00 pm »

It depends on the name type and entity definitions.  Right now it doesn't do anything with weighted probability.  There are culled symbols, which it won't use.  Then there are selected symbols -- unless a word also has a culled symbol, if it has a selected symbol it goes into the list of words that can be used as the main root of the word, which depends on the name type.  Then there's the subselect symbols, which control the list of words that can be used for any other position (a lot of names don't have these, which is why things are so random).  There will be more done later on.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
Re: Question about name generator
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 08:14:00 pm »

So a kobold den would cull words like GOOD NATURE, select words from EVIL VIOLENT CAVE, maybe subselect PRIMITIVE?

Was trying to puzzle out a way for the generator to properly recognize words like BRIDGE... maybe a RIVER symbol would work...

It's good to hear this will become even more detailed.

My dwarves are not your dwarves.