Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spontaneous Combustion  (Read 738 times)

Tubal_Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spontaneous Combustion
« on: June 29, 2007, 06:13:00 pm »

I usually play with temp off for better fps, But I turned it on for my great goblin vs Demon war.  I watched the war until it was over, then when I looked back outside a quarter of the map had burned to ashes. now the battle went on for a season so I never looked that way during that time, but there was nothing over there that was on fire to begin with nor was there anyway for anything that was on fire from the war to get over there because I had and still have 2 raised bridges blocking it off.   The fire only burnt a quarter of the map probably becuase it hit the outsdie river and my road, but I am puzzled as to what could have started it.  Luckily no dwarves brought that fire into my fortress.  

On a related note, cave spider silk equipment seems to burn almost indefinitly , everything else that can has long since burned to ashes but the cave spider silk equipment the goblins had is still !!flaming!!.

[ June 29, 2007: Message edited by: Tubal_Cain ]

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Spontaneous Combustion
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 06:20:00 pm »

Temperature and combustion is only half-done in the current version, but in the next version this sort of "spontanious combustion" shouldn't happen... So it may already be solved. Do you have lava outside? Did a creature breathe fire on something?

There was a post a long time ago of a caravan erupting in flames because a modded item didn't have any temperature values. [Maybe a bug occured that caused an item to lose it's temperature values, thus causing a sudden explosion of flame as the game tried to figure out wtf to do?]

In any case, turning the temperature to "OFF" in the init.txt should solve most of the problems (it IS case sensitive. "off" and "OFF" are completely different) Maybe even put out the fires that have seemingly sprung up for no reason.

[ June 29, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Tubal_Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 06:28:00 pm »

No I have no lava outside, I have no magma channels whatsoever.  I haven't modded any items or anything else for that matter.  

I'm wondering if it might be realted to a bug somone posted a while back about things teleporting or appearing in the upper left corner.  If something burning teleported there from the demon war room that would have done it.  maybe related to:

quote:
000078 □ [dwarf mode][items]   dwarves sometimes wander up to the top left when pathing fails, various items appear up there

-Edit-
Also, no fire breathing creatures were present.

[ June 29, 2007: Message edited by: Tubal_Cain ]

Tag Plastic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 05:19:00 pm »

I've not witnessed this personally, but I've heard that if you switch temp=on, all the things that WOULD have caught fire while you had temp=off suddenly burst into flames. Could that be it?