Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question about a utility.  (Read 796 times)

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A question about a utility.
« on: June 15, 2007, 09:01:00 am »

There's this utility that digs out a square under the cursor or digs out all the mine designations and theres this option that digs a 16*16 block. So if I dig out that block will it collapse?

Lord_Daeloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A question about a utility.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 10:34:00 am »

Yes, it will collapse... I don't know why it was made that way, but there you go.  I suggest always using the designation method.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 01:56:00 pm »

Couldn't you fire up granite right after (still paused) and add in supports before it collapses?

Lord_Daeloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 05:48:00 pm »

Indeed you could, heh, but you may as well just designate a 16X16 area with support and use the tool to mine that out instead.

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 01:47:00 am »

I must be getting old. Is "utility" a new cool word for cheats?

Lord_Daeloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 02:39:00 am »

Heh, in this case, yes.  I believe everyone just refers to them as utilities because they are lumped under that title on the Wiki...  At least that's why I started calling them that.  Truth be told, I feel you should avoid the quick mining stuff, but hey, its not like they are hurting anyone, just making the game more enjoyable for themselves.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 04:23:00 am »

Notice how the wiki page Cheating links you to Utilities. (Its possible that I may have had something to do with that  :p)
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 05:48:00 am »

Cheat: Something you use to ruin somebody else gameplay in favor of your own.

Utility: Something you use to improve your game experience that doesn't hurt anybody.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 09:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Asehujiko:
<STRONG>Cheat: Something you use to ruin somebody else gameplay in favor of your own.

Utility: Something you use to improve your game experience that doesn't hurt anybody.</STRONG>

So IDDQD and IDKFA are utilities? Or do they ruin somebody elses gameplay in favor of your own?
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 12:54:00 pm »

Doom wasn't a beta (alpha?) with missing features (rewalling) and interface issues (profession management).

On the other hand, some of the other utilities fall under IDKFA and such... and yet, even these can be used for creative purposes.  I'd actually liken it more to the money "cheats" in The Sims, which Will Wright has claimed in interviews that it's less a cheat and more a feature, since it's more fun that way.

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Coffee-Drinker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 02:25:00 pm »

I'm dead set against cheats for game when using that cheat spoils the experience for other players. So, if Dwarf Fortress was a multi-player online game where there are lots of other people playing simultaneously then I'd hate the cheats with a passion.

However, since the only person who's game is being spoiled is the person who's using the cheat then, if that's what they want to do, then fine. That's their perogative.

I use the rewalling cheat because I want my current fortress to look pretty -- no chunks of ore or gemstones sticking out of the walls. Since that facility is not yet enabled, why shouldn't I use a cheat to accomplish it?

On the other hand, I've also looked at the magma channel to magma flow cheat and found that I like using it. Why? Because it allows me to have my magma furnaces along the corridor axis rather than running across it. Aesthetics is the name of the game in my current fortress and not having to have magma furnaces spread out along the magma flow suits what I want to do.

Reveal I dislike -- because I find that I don't want to know where the pits are, I don't want to know where to dig to get plenty of iron. That, for me, spoils the game.

Would I use other cheats? That would depend on what they did. I don't see that being able to reposition my magma forges and rewall corridors is a big problem. Certainly it shouldn't be a big problem to any one else because what I decide to do within my game doesn't affect any other instance of Dwarf Fortress.

So, modding in dogs to drop adamantium; making Dwarfs fire-proof and accelerating them to 900 miles per hours; rewalling; modding in additional animals, additional food types, additional drinks; revealing the whole map... All of these things are cheats. The utilities are simply the things that enable the cheats. Use tham, don't use them -- it's simply a matter of personal choice.

By the Beards of my Ancestors: There are Elephants inside the fortress. Seems like a good time to lie down right in front of them and... go to sleep
---last words of Cog Ingishontak, legendary Craftsdwarf

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 01:56:00 am »

The best feature of SimCopter was the integrated cheat console and the cheat code "Give me bucks or give me death: ####".

You'd type in a number from 0-50,000 in place of the ###, indicating how much money you wanted.  If a probability chance succeeded based on how much you were asking for, you'd get the dough.  Otherwise the game would exit without saving.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 02:46:00 am »

Wow, that's tricky, JT. Sounds like the NetHack dev team put that in. XD

Ah, imagine. Ask for too much and it formats your C:\ drive.