Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Statues of the recently decessed & quickest way to kill a dwarf on embark  (Read 2003 times)

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile

I decided to put the [ITEMCORPSE:STATUE:NO_SUBTYPE:IRORGANIC:BRONZE]
 [ITEMCORPSE_QUALITY:5] tags that turn Bronze Colosi into statues when they die into my dwarves. I just thought it would be nice to decorate my mayors bedroom, office, dining room etc with statues representing those whom S/he has failed (I usually just have their quarters double up as my catacombs).

I embarked and looked through my dwarves preferences to see who the first test subject should be...I found a Slade Lover...the choice was easy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The quickest way I could think of to kill a dwarf and leave a retrievable corpse was to build a floor-bridge to nowhere off the side of a cliff and have the Slade Lover/statue-to-be deconstruct the tile supporting the one on which he was standing...I had him build the bridge himself, he did it with gusto (don't you just love very agile dwarfs)

It seems the drop wasn't long enough. The Slade-Lover was barely injured at all, just a few broken limbs.So I had him rebuild the floor he destroyed and try again.

Alas the Slade Lover failed again

But he kept at it and was able to rebuild the floor a third time in between loosing consciousness and stuffing his guts and liver back in.

This time it worked, but sadly it was a bronze statue of nothing(in object testing I get statues of random creatures), not even a generic dwarf. and it could not be placed or even melted down, just put into a corpse stockpile.

I've Just noticed that he seems to like Shale and not Slade...............
anyway..... I'm now going to try to make the statues be composed of blood or bone or something like that.

What's the most efficient way of killing a dwarf right after embark? I've tried sending an unarmed dwarf against a heard of badger and he did just fine, so far I'm leaning towards the method described above and cave ins.
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

Cave-ins destroy anything left underneath, do they not?

I would say a danger room might work, or some more modding on your optometry elves?

Speaking of which, I believe you have done enough in the fields of optometry and memorial statues to earn a *bloated tuber biscuit*.

Also, the tags may need changing, the ...:BRONZE] -part for instance.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Construct a floor over a murky pool (or two floor tiles). Have the dwarf deconstruct them so that he drops into the pool. Without any ramps, he'll be gone quickly.

But you can't force a specific dwarf to do the deconstruction, so building a support, some tiles of constructed floor over it, and then assign the dwarf to the burrow below the construction, and having someone else pull the lever...

Hrm. Just build a small drawbridge, draw the burrow below it, send the dwarf in there, and atomsmash the dwarf that you hate. You can even re-use this contraption for all your immigrants. Nifty, isn't it?
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

richieelias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fastest and easiest method I can think of:

Channel a hollow square where X's are channeled out tiles. The O is left solid
VVV
VOV
VVV

Next level down, dig out the O

^^^
^O^
^^^

The roof will collapse on top of your dwarf, instant death.

Max176

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I believe it says "Slate", not "Slade". So that may make him a bit easier to please  :P
I'm mining out and admixture every section of adamant ore I can get my easily on to alternation my armoursmith up to allegorical so he can accomplish actively alarming armour for my aggressive. again I'm traveling to do the aforementioned for weapons.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

He already noted the dorf likes shale, not slade.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Overseer: "Yes, well.. shame we didn't get a good statue in old Kib's likeness, but he had to go anyway - crazy dwarf had an unnatural attraction to slade, of all things."
Urist: "Er.. Kib had a fondness for shale, sir, not slade."
Overseer: *frowns at Urist* "Perhaps we should run another test, just to be sure. Say, Urist, what materials do you prefer?"
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile

Cave-ins destroy anything left underneath, do they not?

I would say a danger room might work, or some more modding on your optometry elves?

Speaking of which, I believe you have done enough in the fields of optometry and memorial statues to earn a *bloated tuber biscuit*.

Also, the tags may need changing, the ...:BRONZE] -part for instance.

I think it can vary, I was able to mine out the corpse of another test subject but one of the miners got atom smashed. I guess it depends on the location of the dwarf and wether it's a full block that caves in or a natrual stone floor.

I've been experimenting with changing the Inorganic Bronze part, I'll post any intresting results. (wondering if i just leave in [ITEMCORPSE_QUALITY:5] will I just get a load of ☼Urst McDead Corpse☼ 's   :D )

and thank you kindly for the *bloated tuber biscuit* , I shall work hard twords earning some bloated tuber stew...

@Lytha if the dwarf is the only one with masonary then it will perform the deconstruction...this could work.
as for the bridge, that would destroy the corpses which is what I'm after.

@Anathema   ...Bahahaha
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've Just noticed that he seems to like Shale and not Slade...............

I saw that at the beginning. Ah, the humorous mistakes of bureaucracy. But it's really his fault. If he'd been more careful with  his handwriting when filling out that form he wouldn't have been forced to very slowly torture himself to death, it's as simple as that.
This is to make me recognizable.