Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best war animal  (Read 1415 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
Best war animal
« on: July 28, 2011, 12:56:48 pm »

I pastured a war grizzly bar right inside my entrance. Didn't seem to help detect or defend against goblin thieves.

Whats the best general way to use war animals for detection of goblin snatchers and other threats? And whats the best war animal anyways? Compared to dwarves with weapon skills and with armor, most creatures seem pretty frail.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Liquid Ice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Best war animal
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 01:04:46 pm »

i think Rocs or Dragon's are technically the best trainable animal you can get as of now. That being said you can put pretty much anything in a pit (I.E bronze colossus and titans) and get it to act as doorman for your invaders.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 01:15:40 pm »

Dont bother with chains. Create a pasture exclusivley for war ainmials near your entrances and chokepoints. They stay where youi want them, and will leave the pasture to chase enemies they see. Most war animals arent grazers, so there neednt be grass. Dont bother with big war animals that need to graze (elephants or rhino's) as they cant eat enough to prevent starvation.
This is a blank sig.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 01:19:27 pm »

The best way to use animals for detection is the animal watchtower. Otherwise, just chain or pasture a couple of dogs in your entrance hallway.

The most effective way to use animals to kill enemies is in number. Pit a bunch of wild badgers and throw some enemies in with them, or unleash a doberman bomb. One bear may kill one or two goblins or kobolds alone, but is going to be killed quickly by any group of enemies. Even a dragon, by itself, isn't that useful.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 08:05:45 pm »

Now I want to make a badger bomb...  Step on the plate and UNLEASH HELL.