Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Night creature attack  (Read 1359 times)

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Night creature attack
« on: July 27, 2011, 06:23:06 pm »

Just wandering if anyone else knew about this. I though night creatures could only sit in their lairs and cause trouble during worldgen, but apparently not. My adventurer was on his way from killing a dragon and decided to take a nap a forest. He got woken up to a "Night Horror" attacking him. Never knew these bastards could actually come out and play.

The best part is that I accidentally stumbled into a lair as I was continuing my journey the next day. Inside was a "Spouse of the Night Horror". I think I just killed an entire family, heh. Too bad they didn't have children...

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: Night creature attack
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 06:31:01 pm »

check legends, they probably do, they just have lairs of their own now.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 07:40:00 pm »

So, Night Creatures kids grow up and move out? Interesting...Might consider hunting them down, but how will I find their lair after confirming its existence in Legends?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 08:19:39 pm »

So, Night Creatures kids grow up and move out? Interesting...Might consider hunting them down, but how will I find their lair after confirming its existence in Legends?
in the entry for said night creature, they will be associated with a place, this is their lair.  you can then look up the location , aslo in legends, and get a fair idea of where it is on the map.

and they do indeed grow up and move out.

the world my current dwarven fortress is located (as opposed to the one containing my goblin tower =D) has many human civs that have been decimated by night creatures.  each one has taken a mate.  each one has 4-8 kills.... sometimes more, sometimes less, but the most common range is 4-8.  each one has at least one offspring... sometimes as many as four or five.  and the pattern continues for at least 5-6 traceable generations in a 250 year old world.  it's hard to tell the real number as i used gidden history on this world, so i dont have all of the facts.

the one adventurer i had in this world managed to kill about members of three generations of the same family before he started getting tasked with slaying titans and rocs.

i'm thinking this will be taken care of in the next update, as the front page listed heroes as being a bit more active in worldgen.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 10:54:20 pm »

That's some interesting stuff. But I suppose it makes sense. How else would that hellspawn spread from place to place? DF does a good job of making things realistic.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 02:32:18 am »

Soon we will have night creature colleges. And as they drop out, they will party in lairs with their night creature friends, drinking strawberry wine and beer.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Videonfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Now you know why you should fear the night
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 08:20:14 am »

Soon we will have night creature colleges. And as they drop out, they will party in lairs with their night creature friends, drinking strawberry wine and beer.
Propably drinking human-dwarfish-hippy blood
You just can't trust allies

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 09:44:59 am »

Heh, maybe in the future releases we will have some sort of feature where a whole bunch of night creatures gather together for some sort of evil ritual or something. Then, the adventurer would be able to find out the time and place and drop in for a visit.