Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there really no way to heal serious wounds? also misc questions.  (Read 1019 times)

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's really a pain that whenever an enemy gets lucky and cripples you somehow there is nothing to be done about it, like my last game where a swordsman damaged some nerve or something that made my right arm useless, I read in the wiki that you could use both a weapon and a shield in one hand in .25, but that is not true.

I notice there is both a "treatment" and "medical history" tabs on the health screen, are doctors planned at least?

Also for the misc questions, is there any other differences from picking peasant, hero or demigod on character creation other than starting stats/skill points? the wiki is not exactly clear on that, because in case there isn't I really don't see why anyone would not pick demigod all the time, except for masochists of course, is that supposed to be the difficulty level?

And how come does the difficulty in quests ramp up so suddenly? I got 3 quests involving killing an outlaw in his camp, and in each one of em there were maybe 3 or 4 enemies, then I get one more quest, same premise, only this time there were like 20+ enemies in the camp... and this seems to be a fairly natural occurrence.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
Re: Is there really no way to heal serious wounds? also misc questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 08:03:39 pm »

Ok, to enlighten you:

The method for wielding infinite items in one hand it to not try and actually wield them, just use "r" to remove them from your backpack. They will be in your hand and can be used for combat. I also use this at that start of each new adventurer when I want to train up knappingx400quadrillion to grind up my stats without having to constantly get more rocks.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 10:43:53 pm »

I think the first quest I got was to kill a night creature. I was like 'KAAY!!! ^.^'

I got a group of rag tag adventurers. We went out to find the evil creatures.

There were 2 of them. They ate my companions faces, and then one of them held me down and ripped off my limbs.

First quest.

On another play, I was actually starting to get somewhere... Then I decided to take a nap in the wilderness. Whatever, I had 4 companions right?

Some weird message plays, and I wake up to read through like 6 pages of combat text where assassins attacked and fought a bloody battle with my companions. I of course slept through this, regardless of the flying limb hitting my face. Then I continued to sleep as they attacked me for some number of pages. I had my sword arm hacked off, finally waking up about a second before I died.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 10:51:58 pm »

Annoying nerve wounds are annoying.
If you want to get rid of them, go to your raw/objects/creature_standard txt file, find [HAS_NERVES] for Dwarves, and remove it.
Then make a new world. Problem solved.

As for your strange encounter with the bandit group, you probably did wake up, but then got knocked out. The game skips the text for the entire time that you're knocked out, then delivers that wall of text once you're awake... or dead.

Also, don't expect to make it through your first quest. Ever. Especially with night creatures. They have a tendency to break you like a twig. Aim for the lower body. It almost always slices them in half - instakill.

Hope this helps.