Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquatic Extra Trade Depot  (Read 902 times)

Terk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Aquatic Extra Trade Depot
« on: July 26, 2011, 02:07:26 am »

I recently started playing dwarf fortress and just started my second fort. I built my trade depot deep inside my base at the center of what was going to be my horde, but a miner decided he wanted an indoor swimming pool instead. In the fun pool filling haste, no one deconstructed the trade depot, and it now sits there for conducting trades with the elusive mermen.

I built a new depot, but now that the first caravan has shown up they simply sit at the edge of the map unmoved. I assume they're confused by the extra depot. I set it to deconstruct (which obviously no one can do. None of the dwarves like the swim in the deep end) but that didn't unstick the traders. I thought maybe the good depot was too far from the edge of the map, but building closer to them hasn't helped.

Any ideas how to unstick the merchants, ideally without having to raise the original depot from its murky pool depths?

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aquatic Extra Trade Depot
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 02:22:37 am »

Try forbidding the submerged trade depot: press 'd' --> 'b' --> 'f', and select the entire 5x5 square. You can control which trade depot the merchants go to by messing around with these settings. As for actually getting rid of the submerged one, I think it'll deconstruct if you drop a cavein on top of it.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 04:08:21 am »

Never build more than 2 Depots unless you really know what you are doing.
Merchants will always go to eldest possible depot they can path to.
If you unforbid a depot when there are traders at a newer one, the traders will go there, but leave their stuff behind.
If merchants are at that depot , then they will freeze when it is time for them to move on. Nothing but killing them helps, they will never go mad either.
This effectively blocks all trade with them(which I assume can be used if you want them to puck opp, but dont want a war, or if you want some perfect cannon fodder under your fortifications)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:10:49 am by Z1000000m »

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 04:10:03 am »

Never build more than 2 Depots unless you really know what you are doing.
Merchants will always go to eldest possible depot they can path to.
If you unforbid a depot when there are traders at a newer one, the traders will go there, but leave their stuff behind.
If merchants are at that depot , then they will freeze when it is time for them to move on. Nothing but killing them helps, they will never go mad either.
sounds like a great way to capture elves.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 07:22:13 am »

Sounds like you might have to pump out the pool to expose the depot so it can be deconstructed. That said, if you pump out, and wall over a depot under the lake with access to an underground entrance, you don't have to worry about ambushers getting it.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 07:31:31 am »

Pump out the depot, put a floodgate in the hole, and keep it as a flooding trap.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Terk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 12:55:05 pm »

Try forbidding the submerged trade depot: press 'd' --> 'b' --> 'f', and select the entire 5x5 square. You can control which trade depot the merchants go to by messing around with these settings. As for actually getting rid of the submerged one, I think it'll deconstruct if you drop a cavein on top of it.

Forbidding it worked like a charm, thanks! I'm so glad I didn't have to pump out that lake.